Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Green Rosie

Feather pecking chicken - can I break the habit?

I have identified the one chicken who appeared to have been the main feather plucking culprit in my flock. I have removed the guilty party and put her in "the slammer" and it would appear that the feathers on the plucked bottoms of the other chickens are now beginning to regrow.

Does anyone know if she is likely to forget this bad habit whilst in isolation and if so, how long I need to keep her banged up? She's in a rabbit hutch and NOT happy but seeing as she is a good layer I am reluctant to neck her.
Lorrainelovesplants

I would keep her out till the other bird has regrown her feathers (which may be some time).
When you reintroduce - just before you allow her in, spray the other birds fathers with anti-peck spray.
Green Rosie

That was what I was kind of thinking although she obviously started pecking when the other birds were fully feathered. I can't get anti-pecking spray here either. I have seen no evidence of anyone else pecking so I am also toying with the idea of cutting my losses with her and making chicken stew Wink
chicken feed

you could try fitting her with a beak bumper. we found them the only fix when we had the same problem.

we tried anti peck spray
Stockholm tar
penning the problem bird on her own (once put back in the group she started again)
Green Rosie

Hmmmm - I have some anti-pecking specs Bodger sent me but I really struggled to get them on the birds - that time I managed to stop the problem by separating the culprits and for reasons unknown they just stopped on their own. This one is a lot more determined though. I may try the specs as it is only her pecking this time.
Nicky cigreen

are they free ranging? If you can rule out things like overcrowding, I would be inclined to go for the stew option
chicken feed

Hmmmm - I have some anti-pecking specs Bodger sent me but I really struggled to get them on the birds - that time I managed to stop the problem by separating the culprits and for reasons unknown they just stopped on their own. This one is a lot more determined though. I may try the specs as it is only her pecking this time.

when you catch her wrap a towel around her so she only has her head out then I found it easier to fit whilst sitting down with a glass of wine ( Laughing ) back on track..... with the bird facing away from you worked every time.
Ty Gwyn

Sharpen the Axe.
chicken feed

Sharpen the Axe.

always 100% cure Laughing
Green Rosie

are they free ranging? If you can rule out things like overcrowding, I would be inclined to go for the stew option

Half free ranging - they have a plenty large enough field for the number of birds. I think it is just a case that she is a Light Sussex with attitude Rolling Eyes
Woo

is it just during the night? mine are a bit pecky, i have a couple with bald spots but have seen no evidence of them at it in the day.
could she be put in a seperate night chamber. it's hardly any time between going to roost and getting up and making a racket this time of year. perhaps then you can keep her and let the others recover too?
just a thougfht.
Green Rosie

Sadly no - she has a go at any nearby bum at feed time and then through-out the day Rolling Eyes At least the feathers on the others are slowly beginning to regrow. Woo

oh.
she will 'taste good on a slice of bread',
to quote a family favorite!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home