Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
roobarb

Feeding grain to pigs

Hi

We are new to pig keeping - getting our first weaners in 10 days time Very Happy. We were going to buy in compound feed (probably nuts), but have been offered by our local farmer some grain (I believe it is oats), and by the sound of it he has plenty of it going spare. Can we feed this to the pigs to replace some of the compound feed or should it be treated as an "extra"?

Thanks
Roobarb
mochyn

Don't give pigs 'extras': they'll get fat. As for grain, I've never tried it, but suspect they may not convert it very well. Rob and Nat will probably know though...

If you are giving anything as well as a compound feed you should be replacing at a ratio of 1lb compound = 4lb fresh (leaves, carrots or whatever).
RichardW

Wont it need grinding? Also check if they have added any chemical dryers to the grains.
Rob R

When you say 'going spare' I'm assuming he wants money for it?

Oats are rarely included in pig rations, in fact they're mainly reserved for horses these days, and whole grains can be included but are much better if soaked for at least 24 hours beforehand.

As far as being a new pig keeper goes, I think you'd be better off sticking to the bagged feed for now and then at least you know that you've got their nutrition right. In the meantime read up on mixing your own rations and read some of the old threads on the subject (I'm sure some kind soul will find them and post the links, but right now I have to go help get the herd into the collecting yard for milking. Wink
roobarb

Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Also check if they have added any chemical dryers to the grains.

We helped bring in the harvest (the farmer likes doing things the old-fashioned way), so we know it was just dried in his barn before threshing it (with an old-style threshing machine).

Quote:
When you say 'going spare' I'm assuming he wants money for it?

No, he's always happy to give us things for free if he's got things going spare. We have regularly received bags of corn for the chickens, various vegetables etc. over the few years we've lived here. But in return he's got to cut our field for hay and used us for labour at harvest time!

Quote:
f you are giving anything as well as a compound feed you should be replacing at a ratio of 1lb compound = 4lb fresh (leaves, carrots or whatever).

Good advice, as we've been saving up our Jerusalem artichokes and wrinkly stored apples for pig feeding, so we'll be mindful of not over doing it.

I'll have a check through the old posts to see what I can find, but maybe we should just stick to the bought in feed and use the grain for our chickens instead.
Bodger

I've fed wheat and oats to pigs but have put it through the cornmill that I bought from Tahir. Mine did really well on it but fed them about a third of pig pellets too. I did this in the belief that they'd still be getting any vital goodies that may or may not be in pellets.
chicken feed

we feed wheat, barley & oats to our pigs but it is all milled to a mash.

we only feed a small proportion of oats in the mix.
Bodger

There's something strangely rewarding about milling grain. I find it very relaxing. Smile
Rob R

Do you add anything to cut down on the dust Bodger?
Bodger

The milled grain goes into a dust proof collecting bucket and then I feed it wetted, either with beer slops or water.
T.G

We were told that soaked oats are best for pigs than milled or whole, the milk that comes of the oats is really good for many animals.

Soaked oats change in character they are no longer heating for horses and we feed soaked oats to ours, with no issues. Unsoaked oats - totally different story. So I was aware that soaking oats changes them considerably.

We also feed barley, to our sows and cull sows. It was crushed.
Bodger

You'd be crushed if something eat you. Embarassed
Rob R

The milled grain goes into a dust proof collecting bucket and then I feed it wetted, either with beer slops or water.

When we're running the mill there is a plume of dust above the cyclone, as soon as you pour the veg oil in it disappears - does my brother's asthma a load of good, too, when feeding it.
Bodger

The mill that I bought has a bucket with a dinky lid that makes a seal on the shoot that the milled grain comes down but that tip is well worth knowing incase I ever manage to break the bucket.
roobarb

Just an update on this. I mentioned to the farmer that we may use the grain to feed to the pigs, and he said in that case they should probably be crushed...and he has kindly offered to do this for us Very Happy

So I think what I can gather from the responses, is that they are probably okay to use in moderation (alongside regular feed), as long as they are milled to some degree, and possibly soak them as well to make them more pallatable/digestable. Does that sound about right?
Rob R

That's right, but if you're new to pig keeping then just be aware that taking on nutrition and ration formulation is another variable in the equation. Bought pig rations are balanced and complete so just take into account that any additional rations will not necessarily save money and may make a fattier animal. However experience is the best teacher, so that's not a reason not to.

There are also rules about home mixers for which you will have to keep records and be registered with your local authority.
darkbrowneggs

The mill that I bought has a bucket with a dinky lid that makes a seal on the shoot that the milled grain comes down but that tip is well worth knowing incase I ever manage to break the bucket.

What mill have you got Bodger?

All the best
Sue
Bodger

Sue. I was lucky enough to buy this off Tahir at a very reasonable price.

http://www.ascott.biz/acatalog/Golia-Mill-ML11.html

I don't think it had ever been out of the box and its proved to be brilliant. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home