Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Green Rosie

Feeding rhubarb to pigs

I know rhubarb leaves are poisonous to pigs but can I feed them the stalks? If so would I need to cook them first?
Nick

I'd be amazed if they ate them, mine have never touched onions, peppers, leeks or anything with a citrus flavour.
Green Rosie

I'll go and offer Boris a stick and see if he turns his nose up at it or not Laughing
SandraR

I'll go and offer Boris a stick and see if he turns his nose up at it or not Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nicky cigreen

why would you want to give rhubarb to pigs? If you have more than you need, why not just let it stay on the plant ? - the plant will do better for it, and I can't imagine there is a huge nutritional value to rhubarb.
Green Rosie

Boris hasn't got much grass etc to eat in his pen and can't go in the field with the ladies at the moment so I thought if he liked rhubarb .... which I am totally overrun with, it would give him something to chew on and pass the time of day Wink
Nicky cigreen

fair enough. I'm clearing out the apple store into the pigs- we had so many apples last year, that even with selling some we did not get through them, and although they are a big dried up now, the pigs seem to think they are fun.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home