Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Dee J

Fein multimaster or cheaper equivalent?

Ok. So the site builder has set me a problem... I have installed lots of first fix wiring in stud partitions. The builder has now clad a number of these areas in moisture resistant mdf rather than plasterboard - but only drilled a 25mm hole, not the full backbox cutout. Now I need to cut neat rectangular holes for drywall back-boxes - some in very challenging locations. If the mdf was on the bench I'd use a padsaw or a jigsaw, but that's not easy now. Anyone got any experience of the various multimaster style tools? The Fein is expensive, and so are the attatchments, but there's a whole range of cheaper variants, right down to the B&Q Mac Allister. Opinion please.

Dee
dpack

router and jig ?
RichardW

router and jig ?

That is what I would do.

Just remember to set the depth stop so it just breaks through or you could hit the cables.
Dee J

router and jig ?

Not a bad plan for some of the locations, but many are close to internal corners of alcoves where the width of the router base would be too big...

Dee
mousjoos

a biscuit jointer can be used a saw if the mdf is not too thick dpack

dremmel?
padsaw?
Gervase

The Fein is an excellent tool, but it is expensive. Now that the patent has expired, Bosch, Makita and many others have brought out similar machines that work with an oscillating blade, and I see no reason why they shouldn't work just as well.
The great advantage of the Fein (and similar) is that you can cut absolutely flush to a surface and plunge cut with straight sides to the cut. It's also terrific for detail sanding, grout removal, cutting plastics and laminates, cutting floorboards on the joist line, removing old windows... the list goes on an on.
vegplot

Some like the Dremel Saw Max

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dremel-saw-max/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=dremel%20saw-max&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adremel%20saw-max

would do but if it were me I'd spend a bit more of go for the Fein.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fein-240V-Cable-Start-Tool/dp/B00CBELX4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380202539&sr=8-1&keywords=fein
Dee J

Thanks all. Bought the MacAllister for 50 pounds along with a Bosch blade. I'll see how it goes.

Dee
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home