Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
rhyddid

Fencing for Fruit Trees

Can any fruit tree growers suggest the best way to fence (or box around) some 1-2 year old fruit trees ? They are being harrassed by some goats.
Northern_Lad

Eat the goats.

Or, the harder way, make a 'box' about 1m square and 1m high all round the trees. You'll probably need 2" square battons with no more than 4" between to stop the goats getting through.
judith

1 m won't be high enough - my sheep can overcome that, let alone goats.
tahir

1.5m at least I reckon
sean

2m for goats. Stand one up on its hind legs and measure it.
tahir

I'd go as high as possible really cos they absolutely devastate trees
Blue Peter

sean wrote:

Do you put a book on it's head and then ask it to walk away? Very Happy

Peter.
Treacodactyl

Blue Peter wrote:
sean wrote:

Do you put a book on it's head and then ask it to walk away? Very Happy

Peter.

The goat would eat the book, eat the tree and then escape.
OP

It sounds to me like we have this the wrong way round. Forget the tree, it is the goat that needs the fence around it.
Marionb

orangepippin wrote:
It sounds to me like we have this the wrong way round. Forget the tree, it is the goat that needs the fence around it.

Laughing Laughing
rhyddid

tahir wrote:
I'd go as high as possible really cos they absolutely devastate trees

I agree.

I got a little lost in this thread on the height discussion.

What material are people using for their fruit tree protection ?

Is wood slatted horizontally OK ?

A final question if I may, will I have to permanently protect the apple trees. They are on MM106 rootstock.
Nicky Colour it green

aren't goats famous for climbing?

we fence our trees off against the sheep.. four posts whumped in - about chest high, wood nailed horizontally between...then chicken wire..
Green Rosie

colour it green wrote:

we fence our trees off against the sheep.. four posts whumped in - about chest high, wood nailed horizontally between...then chicken wire..

Brilliant - we have just planted 14 fruit trees and have a ewe and 2 lambs arriving soon......
Nicky Colour it green

Green Rosie wrote:
colour it green wrote:

Brilliant - we have just planted 14 fruit trees and have a ewe and 2 lambs arriving soon......

and no fences?
Green Rosie

colour it green wrote:
Green Rosie wrote:
colour it green wrote:

and no fences?

Off to get fence posts and more neting this afternoon - and planning a week-end of whumping in posts and attaching stock netting....... followed no doubt by aching limbs and a log hot bath,
Nicky Colour it green

good luck Smile
tahir

rhyddid wrote:
A final question if I may, will I have to permanently protect the apple trees. They are on MM106 rootstock.

With goats? Yes, they can climb into trees.
Jonnyboy

I watch mine at full stretch on her hind legs yesterday, it's amazing how high they can reach.
rhyddid

tahir wrote:
rhyddid wrote:

With goats? Yes, they can climb into trees.

So how good is the taste of goat meat ? Mad
gil

Can they not be tethered ?
But goat meat is good.
Jonnyboy

gil wrote:
Can they not be tethered ?

I have, where I want specific grazing done, but it's not recommended and you really need to be on site when you do it, in case they get into difficulty. Plus they are adept at breaking tethers/collars etc.
tahir

rhyddid wrote:
So how good is the taste of goat meat ? Mad

Only tried it once, prefer lamb
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home