Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Hairyloon

Fencing suggestions.

I've just been asked to look into replacing a chap's fence. His garden is battered by the wind, so he wants something new.
On one side is the ubiquitous larch lap boards which have blown down. The posts are substantial so he basically wants a direct replacement with something a bit more sturdy.
I think he has an idea of what he wants, but better suggestions can't hurt if you have them.

He wants similar on the other side, but the posts will be a bit more tricky.
His garden is higher than next door and looking at it from their side, the fence is atop of a wall. On his side it is down the edge of the drive.
It is a low fence, the uprights are bolted into cut outs in the top of the wall and are rather too think for the higher fence he is wanting.

So how to attach the new posts?
We could simply bolt the posts to the side of the drive with some sort of bracket, but they would be sticking out into the neighbour's airspace so I don't like that idea.
I wondered about cutting down a "metpost" type spike to fit the slot and bolting it in there, maybe concrete it in as well.

Any thoughts?
dpack

without a photo or eyballing it tis rather hard to spec a fixing or fence

as you say it is windy something over engineered is sensible so long as it looks nice from both sides

i used to make quite a few fences and most i was replacing had weak posts or fixings ,the panels or boards are not the weak link if they get treated with preservative now and again

it isnt cheap but triangular rail and feather edge planks is very adaptable and looks ok from both sides.
onemanband

Metpost do a wall anchor
I don't like the look of that particular one though - if you put a fixing thru the top hole it will likely blow the top course of bricks.
I'm sure they used to do (or someone else does) one with a longer leg.
12Bore

I was going to suggest some sort of metal retaining bracket, but the Metpost has it covered.
For the other side, 4x2 stringers, top, (possibly centre) and bottom, batten verticals either side with 2" gap between to allow some air/wind passage but provide shelter and privacy.
Hairyloon

Metpost do a wall anchor
I don't like the look of that particular one though...

Yeah, I found that one earlier. I don't fancy it either. Confused

The customer has now sent an email with the panels he had in mind. Sounds much like 12Bore is suggesting.
onemanband

This is better. (far right pic)
Or fabricate your own bracket.
Hairyloon

This is better. (far right pic)

Nice one. Looks ideal, thank you. Very Happy
Quote:
Or fabricate your own bracket.

If it was my job, then I probably would, but I think I'll just let the customer buy them.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home