Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
OtleyLad

Fencing to protect fruit trees, etc?

We're needing to fence off large areas of land to protect plantings of fruit trees, fruit bushes and a range of perennial plants like asparagus, globe artichokes, etc. from rabbits.
What fencing would you use? I've thought of 25mm chicken wire part buried to a suitable depth.
Any suggestions? Is that mesh size appropriate?
Nick

From what? Rabbits? Deer? Otley teenagers?
Tavascarow

The problem with burying wire is the stuff you buy now wont last underground. I did just this around a plot with wire from a reputable local source & it lasted two years in the ground. Above ground still looked fine.
I don't have an answer other than firearms, just don't want to see you waste your money.
Ty Gwyn

Agree Tav,any wire in the ground will rot,even pig netting,
All this crap ones read`s about burying chicken wire,like you say,its rotted in 2yrs,if your lucky.
OtleyLad

From what? Rabbits? Deer? Otley teenagers?

Rabbits mostly. There are deer about but I'm hoping/pretending they won't be a problem. Dogs of leads might be a problem (a lot of people use the place to exercise their dogs). I'm hoping not many teenagers will see a nature reserve as a cool place to hang out.
OtleyLad

The problem with burying wire is the stuff you buy now wont last underground. I did just this around a plot with wire from a reputable local source & it lasted two years in the ground. Above ground still looked fine.
I don't have an answer other than firearms, just don't want to see you waste your money.

When I've done it before it has corroded just on the surface - it was still intact (albeit rusted) underground and above. I've alwasys wondered how effective it was - the b*ggers can squeeze through the smallest hole anyway.
gregotyn

I buried chicken netting in the ground, 200-300mm deep, and about 600-700mm above, and it was hard work. If I had got out my little plough, it would have pulled a furrow 7-8" deep with a bit of modification and made life much easier-my veg were rabbit free. It lasted about 8 years-obviously I was lucky! However, but most of my threat came from the flying pests, cabbage white in particular, and the inevitable slug. I now garden in boxes and it is easier to guard against problems-netting and copper wire seem to do the trick. Tavascarow

What crops are you protecting it might be cheaper & more effective to use guards instead of fencing the whole plot? Treacodactyl

Deer are likely to be just as big a problem and their habit of nipping off the growing tips of fruit trees, blackberries, raspberries etc will stop fruit trees and shrubs from being productive. In which case good deer fencing and chicken wire at the base stops deer and rabbits.

Just for rabbits I'd use guards on trees and smaller areas of fencing. (Actually I'd control the rabbits).

You're also likely to have problems with squirrels and birds pinching the fruit so I'd consider smaller, netted areas.
tahir

Rabbit netting doesn't really work When we get our plot back up were planning to put a dead hedge around it with rabbit netting inside that. On the old plot the only thing that reliably worked was electric netting Hairyloon

What crops are you protecting it might be cheaper & more effective to use guards instead of fencing the whole plot?
This and a bit of pie: treat the rabbits as part of the crop.
OtleyLad

Has anyone used the pvc coated wire? Does it last longer? dpack

the pvc coated with a grid of about 60mm and 3mm wire seems to last underground judging by scrap bits i have had to dig out of heaps Hairyloon

Has anyone used the pvc coated wire? Does it last longer?
I've got some of that that I don't know what to do with. Is a bit tall for what you want though I think, and probably too tedious to cut down to size...
Mistress Rose

I wouldn't pretend the deer aren't there as you may find they are the culprits and not the rabbits. Rather than bury the wire, you can turn it out and spread it on the surface and weight it down. Rabbits tend to dig against the barrier, so don't go out more than a few inches. I am with the others; you might find it more cost effective to protect trees individually.

As far as Otley teenagers are concerned, we find Hampshire ones, and I suspect they are a similar breed, can be discouraged by saying hello to them whenever you meet them in the wood or village. If they know who they are they tend to lose interest. Very Happy
gregotyn

It is best to use a galvanised core finished wire with a PVC outer coating as the galvanise not exposed lasts several years longer than just PVC coated or just galvanised. dpack

re the local youth it might be a good idea to get some of them involved.

a sense of "ownership" can do wonders for security
Mutton

Couple of "things"
I think rabbit netting is cheaper than chicken wire (could be wrong).

We keep rabbits (and our chickens) out of what we grow with wooden frames with wire mesh on it - chicken or rabbit netting.
The wooden frames sit down onto ground level (bit of weed suppression fabric to stop grass tangling in the frames.) So far we have not had rabbits dig under. The wooden frames include one for the roof.

We started doing this in a place where our fruit bushes were eaten by deer, continued it here where the most likely problem is rabbits.
Mistress Rose

That sounds a good idea Mutton, but you need to check frequently to see if rabbits are burrowing underneath. If they are, you will need to spread or dig in some rabbit/chicken mesh to stop it happening.

Found a deer fence panel dug under yesterday, but suspect badgers, as that one hasn't been up long. They go where they want, and if we put something across their track, they just carry on over, under or through.
Slim

re the local youth it might be a good idea to get some of them involved.

a sense of "ownership" can do wonders for security

I'm certainly in agreement with the principle of this, but how do you go about implementing? Post a local ad? "Help Wanted - all youthful miscreants that may be interested in future vandalism please apply"
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home