Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
tahir

Finally

After 3 years of trying I've actually got somewhere with one of the local schools. I've been asked to do a presentation to 8 classes of yr 9s in advance of their "design an eco home project", I'll be doing something called "eco homes, why and how"

Very Happy
frewen

Fantastic Cool
nora

Well done Tahir, hope it all goes well Very Happy
12Bore

Well done!
Best of luck. Smile
mrs_ursus

Thats excellent news. Delighted for you....and them. Very Happy
sean

Hurrah. (Remember not to swear at them.)
tahir

sean wrote:
(Remember not to swear at them.)

That's part of learning too!
Behemoth

Yes, for you.
BahamaMama

Are you going to rehearse your presentation here?
gil

That's great news, Tahir ! Very Happy
dpack

good stuff
a star is born?
Barefoot Andrew

Nice to see the school(s) getting on board at last.
A.
oldish chris

Re: Finally

tahir wrote:
I'll be doing something called "eco homes, why and how"

Very Happy

But when?

Well done, I hope it goes well.
tahir

When? I've got 8 classes to do, first one is 25th Jan.
bagzi

Hello! Tahir I'm new to D/S could you give a bit of background (sounds interesting)
tahir

Hi. background to what?

We bought a farm a few years ago, we're building an eco house on it (eventually) and we've always wanted local kids involved in what we do. Spoken to all the local schools about doing stuff with us and none of them have really been bothered. This school was one of the secondaries we looked at last autumn for our eldest daughter.

So, hopefully this'll be the start of something that'll keep the school engaged with us for a while.
bagzi

Thanks for the backgound info. Sounds Great Good Luck!
bagzi

More questions, What kind of construction are you using, was there an exsisting building and how helpful were your planning authority?
mochyn

I thought you were going to say you'd broken ground at last!

Sounds good though. Good luck.
tahir

bagzi wrote:
More questions, What kind of construction are you using, was there an exsisting building and how helpful were your planning authority?

Timber frame, flat (green) roof. Planners didn't give a monkeys about the greenness of it as such although they've imposed a condition that means we have to meet code level 4 of the code for sustainable homes. It took a long time to gain consent, some of which was down to bad advice from the first planning officer we met with, but once we sussed things they were OK.

There's a thread on here somewhere about it.
tahir

mochyn wrote:
I thought you were going to say you'd broken ground at last!

I wish, you'll know before we do that, you're doing the landscaping love Wink

Hope to get the next (final) tender package out by the end of Jan, if we're really lucky we might break ground in April.
bagzi

Thank's
mochyn

tahir wrote:
... if we're really lucky we might break ground in April.

If the snow's gone...
mihto

mochyn wrote:
tahir wrote:

If the snow's gone...

A supposedly true story from Tromsų in our far north:

A tourist visits the area in May and sees nothing but snow-covered fields. It has been an unusually snowy winter. He is rather upset and asks a resident farmer how they can cope with the snow? The farmer placidly looks over his land and says with a shrug: "No big deal. Two good summers and we will be rid of the mess."

Embarassed Embarassed
Nick

Just don't subject them to Powerpoint, or at least nothing that looks like Powerpoint. They'll forget it in an instant.
Behemoth

And no dungarees. Just don't.
tahir

Nick wrote:
Just don't subject them to Powerpoint, or at least nothing that looks like Powerpoint. They'll forget it in an instant.

I would never EVER do that
tahir

Behemoth wrote:

But that sounds tempting...
dpack

Laughing
Behemoth

tahir wrote:
Behemoth wrote:

But that sounds tempting...

If you want to look like a Dexys tribute act.
Penny Outskirts

mihto wrote:
mochyn wrote:
tahir wrote:

If the snow's gone...

A supposedly true story from Tromsų in our far north:

A tourist visits the area in May and sees nothing but snow-covered fields. It has been an unusually snowy winter. He is rather upset and asks a resident farmer how they can cope with the snow? The farmer placidly looks over his land and says with a shrug: "No big deal. Two good summers and we will be rid of the mess."

Embarassed Embarassed

Laughing Laughing Laughing
tahir

Well, that went OK, 2 classes down, 6 to go. Only a few hecklers and no rotten tomatoes or eggs.
sean

Well done you.
mochyn

tahir wrote:
Well, that went OK, 2 classes down, 6 to go. Only a few hecklers and no rotten tomatoes or eggs.

Pity: you could have used the eggs & toms to make a nice omelette. Did you get my e-mail?
tahir

No email, when?
mochyn

Saturday. It was some fantastic yarn, perfect for karen's tank top...

http://www.artesanoyarns.co.uk/yarnincacloudalpaca.html

Lovely yarn, beautiful colours, soft...
tahir

It is nice, I'll show her
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home