Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Kenworth

Firearm Deer Season

Firearm Deer Season opens this a.m. here in Michigan. DSS and his GF have left to go into the woods to position themselves. The time frame is 2 weeks for firearms. Muzzle loaders can be used now also, but we have a specific season for them later on this winter.

Using bait piles to lure deer has been approved in the lower portion of the lower peninsula again, the threat of tuberculosis must have declined enough to warrant the lift of the ban.

Someone as young as 10 can now hunt, provided they have had proper training, and go with a licensed adult. They may only hunt on private lands, however.

There is talk of lifting the age limit. IDK how I feel about a child under 10 having a firearm. I sincerely hope good judgment is used in the future!

Hopefully venison will be on the menu soon. Smile
sgt.colon

Re: Firearm Deer Season

Using bait piles to lure deer has been approved

I didn't know bait was used when hunting deer. I thought it was all about the hunters skill. Sad

Quote:
There is talk of lifting the age limit. IDK how I feel about a child under 10 having a firearm.

Oh good lord, I don't think I'd let my ten year old anywhere near a gun. Shocked
vegplot

Oh good lord, I don't think I'd let my ten year old anywhere near a gun. Shocked

With appropriate supervision it's a good age to start. http://www.basc.org.uk/en/young-shots/basc-youth-appeal.cfm
robkb

Never ever visit Woolwich then Wink
Went

Lured with bait...not a sport then but there again it never was... Mr O

Using bait piles to lure deer has been approved

I didn't know bait was used when hunting deer. I thought it was all about the hunters skill. Sad

Quote:
There is talk of lifting the age limit. IDK how I feel about a child under 10 having a firearm.

It is the same here, carrots or apples are piled out in the woods, the "hunter" sits in a hide or on a stand, when a buck appears bang.
Kenworth

DS bagged an 8 point.

He places bait. DH and I never have when we hunt.

DH can successfully replicate the swishing sound that a buck makes. It's almost comical to watch a deer when he makes that sound.

The sporting part of deer hunting to me is to see how quiet I can be and not scare off the prey.
Went

The sporting part to me would be to remove your weapon and see you go head to head with the beast.... Wink sgt.colon

The sporting part to me would be to remove your weapon and see you go head to head with the beast.... Wink

Laughing No if you do it Ken, don't forget the video clip. thumbup
woodsprite

Never heard of anyone I know here using lures. Does seem very unsporting. Deer stalking in my experience involves hours of lying in long grass and then scaring the deer off when they finally get in range :0). Fortunately my sons are better at it than me. dpack

pile of carrots or wait by a drinking pond

i dont see getting the critter where you want it as unsporting ,just practical

tennis is a sport ,hunting is hunting
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home