Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
cab

First cherry plums

Picked our first wild cherry plums of the year on Monday evening. A good hefty carrier bag full (half a stone or so). Will be putting a batch of wine on this evening, and stewing down for jam.
Blue Peter

Re: First cherry plums

cab wrote:
Picked our first wild cherry plums of the year on Monday evening. A good hefty carrier bag full (half a stone or so). Will be putting a batch of wine on this evening, and stewing down for jam.

Having seen all these posts about foraging, I've just collected a few of these (they seem to use them quite frequently on the amenity land in MK), but just to be sure, they look a bit like cherries, but are slightly larger and don't come in the cherry-like bunches? Oh and the leaves are rather more like large version of sloe leaves?

Peter.
tahir

Yup
cab

Yep. And when you squish a ripe berry, its got a plum stone in it. Look, feel, smell and taste like little plums.

It gets complicated with cherry plums of various sorts (including the dark red ornamental ones), bullace, wild plums and damsons. But you struggle to get any poisonous ones mixed up in there.
wildfoodie

it seems to be a great year for stone fruits cherry plums, bullaces and damsons constantly popping onto my radar and the sloes look to be nice and fat too....
Stewy

Are these em?

cab

Look like it. Don't suppose you can cut one in half and show us what the innards and stone look like?
Stewy

Any help?

cab

Almost certainly a cherry plum. And unless I'm having a blonde day, the only other thing it can be is a plum. So should be good and tasty Smile
Stewy

Cheers Cab, I've been eating them for the last few days so I bloody hope they are Laughing

Whats the jam recipe Cab?
cab

Stewy wrote:

Whats the jam recipe Cab?

Get a whole load of plums. Weigh a big pan, put the plums in it, and weigh it again. You need these two numbers.

Add a little water to the plums, and stew 'em down to a pulp. Let it cool, and weigh the pan and plums again; add water to bring the pulp back to the original weight of the plums an pan together.

Now, rub the plum pulp through a colander, and keep rubbing it till you get the pulp all through. Take the stones and tie them in a bag of muslin, and put that back in (this is optional, helps, but you don't need it).

Add sugar equal to the weight of plums you started with, a knob of butter (stops scum forming) and boil the jam mix till it reaches setting point (104C, or normal testing on the back of a spoon) and then get it off the heat and bottled as for any other jam. I like this one rather runny, so that by warming some through with some soy sauce, rice vinegar and rice wine you've got a fantastic plum sauce, or you can just use it as jam. Good glaze in duck or ham too.

Some jams I make in big bulk and use up over two years (e.g. raspberry), some are delicate so they lose flavour and I make them every year (strawberry, apricot and elderflower), but cherry plum is robust and very, very useful, so I make a whole lot of it every single year.
Stewy

Ta
wildfoodie

yesterday's haul.... Very Happy
Some of the cherry plums made a spectacular crumble! Jam making session coming up...
not sure what the green ones are; quite pear shaped, ripening to yellow with a very pronounce bloom on them. I picked them green as the fully ripe ones are quite pasty tasting and very low on acidity.
cab

wildfood junkie wrote:

not sure what the green ones are; quite pear shaped, ripening to yellow with a very pronounce bloom on them. I picked them green as the fully ripe ones are quite pasty tasting and very low on acidity.

Pretty things, aren't they? Wonder if its a gague. There are certainly some of those around in Cambridge.
OP

The yellow and red ones look like mirabelles. The ones in the previous photo did look like cherry plums - I think they are slightly bigger than mirabelles, but still smaller than plums. No idea what the green ones are - but perhaps not gages, which tend to be more spherical.
cab

orangepippin wrote:
The yellow and red ones look like mirabelles. The ones in the previous photo did look like cherry plums - I think they are slightly bigger than mirabelles, but still smaller than plums. No idea what the green ones are - but perhaps not gages, which tend to be more spherical.

I must confess to finding the nomenclature of plums confusing. If memory serves, named mirabelle varieties are either Prunus xdomestica or cultivars of Prunus insititia, depending on who you ask, whereas the cherry plum is Prunus cerasifera. But thats only half the battle, as P. domestica is a generic term for crosses that includes most of the domestic bred plums other than the ones NOT in domestica, which are P. cerasifera... And damsons (which aren't like mirabelles really) sit in P. insititia too!

Sometimes I want to find whoever invented plum nomenclature and strangle him Smile

Suffice to say that for my own part, I call the small juicy ones with the flesh clinging (at least a little) to the stones cherry plums, unless they're obviously damsons, in which case they're damsons. I call the later ripening, harder ones bullace. If the fruit is more free of the stones, often being larger fruit, I call them plums. I totally accept that the nomenclature I used may be all wrong!
OP

Good summary. I think the various plum species tend to interbreed so it is inherently complicated. My understanding is that Mirabelles, Damsons, Bullaces and I think Sloes are Prunus institia and Cherry Plums are Prunus cerasifera. I agree it seems a bit wrong though - on the surface Mirabelles and Cherry Plums seem quite similar whereas Damsons and Bullaces feel similar to each other but different to the rest. Our common English plums are Prunus domestica, and the very big round plums (often tasteless) you see in supermarkets most of the year are 'Japanese' plums (Prunus salicina). It is interesting to see how these things all relate to each other. I found all this in the excellent booklet by Martin Crawford at Agroforestry Research Trust.
wildfoodie

the red ones are definitely cherry plums, yellows I was thinking bullace, mirabelles are usually more round I thought, closer to a big cherry in size and shape. as for a gague I never even heard of these, do you pronounce gague as gage? yellow gage I have heard of. hmm feel some online fruit research coming on.... Cool
cab

wildfood junkie wrote:
the red ones are definitely cherry plums, yellows I was thinking bullace, mirabelles are usually more round I thought, closer to a big cherry in size and shape. as for a gague I never even heard of these, do you pronounce gague as gage? yellow gage I have heard of. hmm feel some online fruit research coming on.... Cool

Gague probably means gage, I simply can't spell the word Smile

Incidentally, have a look at Cambridge market, tons of different varieties of plums grown locally there, even more that are British. Everything from early rivers through cherry plums to victorias, its wonderful to see.
wildfoodie

update on my plums....
Ok, the greenish ones are definitely a kind of yellow plum as the flesh doesn't cling to the stones, they look very similar to my neighbour's victoria plums (still green and on the tree) but these are resolutely yellow not blushy pink as victorias.
the red ones are cherry plums
and the yellows, well now I look at them, some are cherry shaped, (so possibly mirabelles) while others more classically plum shaped.

baaah - all delicious and once in the jam pan, pretty indistingiushable!!

yesterday's fruity forage yielded a very dark almost black plum job, with a blue bloom , NOT a damson ( these are still very bullet like in this area) about the size of a cherry plum. sweet but very low in acidity so I stewed them up to have on my porridge this morning.
All my plum stones are being thrown on the garden beds - looking around my plum forage patches these cherry plums and mirabelles /bullace seem to reproduce quite freely, I'm hoping not just from suckers.
tahir

Are the greenish ones sweet? They could be Yellow Egg, it stays a kind of greeny/yellow will it ripens to a bright yellow, supposed to be a cooker/jammer but a really ripe one tastes good to me.
wildfoodie

tahir wrote
Quote:
Are the greenish ones sweet?

sort of, yes but verypasty /floury texture. They've gone into the pot for jam, I'll let you know how it goes. Personally theyre not juicy enough to count as an eating plum for me.
tahir

Sounds just like Yellow Egg. I didn't mind it at all, but definitely mealy/floury.
wildfoodie

tahir your avatar intrigues! I presume not you and no cruelty to child involved?? looks like the minor in question is holding the pumpkin thingy by her teeth! Laughing
tahir

wildfood junkie wrote:
tahir your avatar intrigues! I presume not you and no cruelty to child involved?? looks like the minor in question is holding the pumpkin thingy by her teeth! Laughing

Cruelty to children, moi? Shocked Laughing

I was holding the kuddoo in front of her head while the missus took the pic
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home