Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
DorsetScott

First ever egg

Admittedly it was laid while the chook was on a perch and not in a nestbox, soft shelled and broken when I saw it, but other than that, it's the first egg!!!
So technically I'll consider the first one I get to eat the first egg, but I'm excited that the first eating egg is close.
john of wessex

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
DorsetScott

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

SandraR

cheers cheers the best egg ever- love finding the 1st egg
pookie

ahhhh eggsellent!! Very Happy
DorsetScott

ahhhh eggsellent!! Very Happy

Laughing
Mustang

I just ate the first eggs from my new girls, this evening. Soft boiled, with a light sprinkle of salt.

Very nice. I wasn't expecting eggs quite so soon after getting them yesterday.
DorsetScott

Yeah you were real lucky with that turnaround time Smile
Mine were bought POL, the comb and wattles are now quite red on 2 of the others and the 4th isn't far behind.
Looking forward to having more eggs than I know what to do with!
Mustang

Maybe it was the bunch of grapes and mound of broccoli I gave mine as a welcome treat that did it? Wink
DorsetScott

Maybe it was the bunch of grapes and mound of broccoli I gave mine as a welcome treat that did it? Wink

Very Happy
chickenlady

That's great....good size too. Very Happy DorsetScott

That's great....good size too. Very Happy

The picture makes it look bigger than it is Smile
pookie

hahahahaha!! *cackled the person with 20 dozen sitting on the side, despite eating 3-5 eggs everyday, making meringues etc and scrambling the oldest 4 dozen to feed back to the chickens*

Confused Laughing
DorsetScott

hahahahaha!! *cackled the person with 20 dozen sitting on the side, despite eating 3-5 eggs everyday, making meringues etc and scrambling the oldest 4 dozen to feed back to the chickens*

Confused Laughing

Have you tried hiding in a hedge and throwing them at youths? Twisted Evil
pookie

Confused Laughing

Have you tried hiding in a hedge and throwing them at youths? Twisted Evil

There aren't even yoofs about round here, and very little passing trade at the gate. (no through lane)
Things should ease when 7 of my layers go to a new home this weekend......then I'll be complaining I've no eggs Very Happy
Mutton

Smile

Steamed pudding with egg custard
Gelato with the egg yolks, macaroons to go with the gelato made from the egg whites
Egg heavy thick pan cakes full of chopped onions
Biscotti (if dried properly they store well and don't need freezing unlike..)
Cake

And if your chooks are getting to eat plenty of greens such as grass then you will have startlingly deep yellow yolks and your egg custard will look like Mr Bird's - which until I kept free range chickens I always thought was far too deep a yellow....
astra

We've been chook less for a year and recently got some new ones at the Green Scythe Fair. We had our first egg yesterday Smile OH reckons it's cost 80!!!!!! Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home