alexmoore1989

First ever forage! please ID my mushrooms

Found in January in Staffordshire, very hesitant to eat my first find Sad
tahir

Alex:

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=7371
dpack

they look rather like velvet shanks to me ,

check them against the descriptions in your books and online before you discard the stalks and eat them in stews etc Laughing

hello
12Bore

Hello Alex, no idea I'm afraid, but peeps here know these thing far better than me.
Is it just me that thinks that those photos look like they were taken underwater?
Confused
alexmoore1989

haha i have discovered the first ever underwater velvet shanks! not bad for a first time eh?

I have heard that these mushrooms can be confused with the deadly Galerina Marginata...does anyone know what season these grow in?
dpack

roger and jordan are not a couple but google is a friend if you mention either of them and shrooms
bubble

they are definately velvet shanks ,Flammulina velutipes,they are edible after discarding stalks, obviously the definative component of pos. id is that they are found growing in winter.
alexmoore1989

great, these clusters are growing just 5 minutes from my house so if these taste any good i have found a winter gem! anyone know any good recipes for these shrooms?
dpack

hint one ,bag and freeze what you cant eat now ,they freeze well

hint two ,discard stalks and wash in a sieve ,drain

hint three add to stew or casserole for the last 40 mins

nice find ,be careful and get as well informed with books ,chats and online as poss

there are dangers to shrooming but knowledge makes one safe
dpack

ps one of my winter favorites
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home