Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
tahir

First lame sheep

On Saturday I noticed Nosey limping a little, Richard was about so we went and grabbed Nosey and I held him while Richard trimmed his feet with a knife and discovered that it had an infection in one of it's feet, made a cut to expel the puss, squeezed it out and that was it. Looked fine yesterday.

Have now ordered my hoof shears and blue spray from Ascotts....
judith

Your sheep had a cat in its foot? Surprised
tahir

judith wrote:
Your sheep had a cat in its foot? Surprised

Rolling Eyes
Bodger

Its just the start Mr T !

We did sheep when we first had our holding and got them out of our system pronto.
Foot rot, flystrike and the almost constant urge to die soon dampened our enthusiasm.

I'm pleased that you have someone to guide you. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
dpack

Rolling Eyes
only on downsizer Laughing
tahir

bodger wrote:
I'm pleased that you have someone to guide you. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Luckily Rich is about most days, his yard's next door and Ken who supplied them is just up the hill.
dpack

on zoo vet they used a dart gun to catch the alpaccas to trim hooves , sort of looked tricky with a lively one Laughing
im glad your livestock have a friend at hand ,i,ve kept lots of different critters and new ones are safest with personal tuition or a good keeper .
i have been having moo breeding masterclasses from rob ,real example are better than books for details but books help with breadth
nothing helps catch sheep like ?? umm?
i vote oranges
tahir

dpack wrote:
nothing helps catch sheep like ??

Luckily it was Nosey who acts like a pet dog, tried gathering some more in to check theirs but they didn't want to know, will have to make a small penned of area.
Gervase

A sheepdog is brilliant, but most sheep can be trained with their stomachs - the rattle of a bucket of ewe-nuts will bring ours thundering down the fields as is their lives depended on it. If you can create some sort of holding area, even a temporary one with hurdles, and get them into that, life is hugely easier.
tahir

Gervase wrote:
If you can create some sort of holding area, even a temporary one with hurdles, and get them into that, life is hugely easier.

That's what we should be doing on Saturday, got a few spare gates around the place
Anna-marie

Hi Tahir,
Glad to hear that you are experiencing the joys of sheep keeping Wink Laughing Laughing
When I trim my sheep's hooves, I always spray them with purple (or blue) spray, and also vaccinate them against foot rot with "Foot vax) which I buy from my vet. Not only does it vaccinate against hoof rot, but also prevents it - it is brilliant stuff!
Apparently, the best treatment to prevent and treat rot is this three-pronged approach:
Trim;
Spray;
Vaccinate.

Hope that this is of some use to you.
Kind regards,
Anna-marie
Mary-Jane

tahir wrote:
Gervase wrote:
If you can create some sort of holding area, even a temporary one with hurdles, and get them into that, life is hugely easier.

That's what we should be doing on Saturday, got a few spare gates around the place

And you'll always need need plenty of baling twine to lash 'em together...
Anna-marie

By the way, when you do get them in, you may as well worm them and treat for blow fly prevention too - it will save you the trouble of getting them in again! Wink

Good luck and have fun. Think of me, too. I will be doing all the above and shearing as well, this afternoon.

Anna-marie
gil

I'd also recommend a handling pen, and some kind of funnelling race to guide them into it, which can be moveable. I see hours of fun ahead for you, Tahir Laughing
tahir

Ken was going to pop over and do the vaccination/blow fly stuff, he keeps an eye on them. I can see it's going to be lots of fun, good luck Anna-Marie Wink
Northern_Lad

gil wrote:
I'd also recommend a handling pen, and some kind of funnelling race to guide them into it, which can be moveable. I see hours of fun ahead for you, Tahir Laughing

He has lots of young daughters; if he had had sons he could have practiced with them first...
Mary-Jane

Anna-marie wrote:
I will be doing all the above and shearing as well, this afternoon.

We had all ours done, plus dipping, last night thank God - the sheep all looked like burst sofas and the paddocks were starting to look as if there'd been an overnight snowfall Rolling Eyes
alison

We have just finished ours.

Started at 8.00am, with the shearing, then helped next door with his first 50, as he helped with ours. The shearing crew then went to his other farm to carry on.

We then did all the feet, worming, clix, heptavac p+ and tagging, from lambing.

All now making tons of noise, finding mums!
tahir

How many have you got Alison?
alison

One ram and 35 ewes, or year olds, and 37 lambs.
tahir

Don't think we'll ever have that many Shocked
Gervase

Just be careful! Sheep are crap at contraception Shocked
tahir

Talking of which ours are "intact" and seem to be mounting each other, we've got 7 boys and 3 girls, hopefully all will be gone by November do I need to worry?
gil

Gestation period for sheep = 5 months
May - November = 6 months

How old are they ?
And is it tup on ewe or tup on tup action ?
Bernie66

gil wrote:
Gestation period for sheep = 5 months
May - November = 6 months

How old are they ?

That would be a yes then Wink
tahir

gil wrote:
How old are they ?

Hmm, I think they were 6-8 weeks when we got them, we;ve had em for 3 weeks? now. Haven't identified who's doing it who yet, will tell the girls to pay more attention Shocked
gil

They're a bit young to do that kind of thing effectively, then.
Thought you were only getting wether lambs so the issue wouldn't arise ?
tahir

What's a wether?
gil

Castrated ram lambs
tahir

Ah no, they're all intact.
Nick

alison wrote:
We have just finished ours.

Started at 8.00am, with the shearing, then helped next door with his first 50, as he helped with ours. The shearing crew then went to his other farm to carry on.

We then did all the feet, worming, clix, heptavac p+ and tagging, from lambing.

All now making tons of noise, finding mums!

Hm, there must be TONS of money to be made with sheep, then. Why do people do it? Wink
alison

Ha ha

I do because I love having them around, and I have grass that must be eaten, coupled with the fact that we eat a lot of lamb!
tahir

The missus and Rich gave him another clean out yesterday, he's still limping about and is getting down on his knees to graze.

They managed to clip the feet of another 4 of em couldn't grab the rest, will have to try tomorrow Shocked

They've also got scald.
judith

Have you got to that point yet where you stand in the middle of the field and yell, "I'm only trying to bl**dy help you!"?
tahir

Not yet, I was trying to convince the missus that it really was a good idea to keep sheep last night.

At least we've got a pen to round em up into tomorrow and Ken's going to pop in too.
judith

Mine jump out of the pen Rolling Eyes
tahir

I must say I'm amazed by the growth some of them have put on, a couple are still quite small though. They're all so different to each other.
tahir

judith wrote:
Mine jump out of the pen Rolling Eyes

Don't say that Shocked
Northern_Lad

tahir wrote:
I must say I'm amazed by the growth some of them have put on, a couple are still quite small though. They're all so different to each other.

That's so you don't have to harvest them all at the same time. Laughing
judith

I know what you mean about the growth. You can practically see them grow before your eyes.
Anna-marie

judith wrote:
I know what you mean about the growth. You can practically see them grow before your eyes.

Mine look bigger than their mums, now that the ewes have been shorn Shocked

Anna- marie
Anna-marie

tahir wrote:
Talking of which ours are "intact" and seem to be mounting each other, we've got 7 boys and 3 girls, hopefully all will be gone by November do I need to worry?

Tahir,
Why weren't they castrated before you bought them? I normally "rubber band" mine at two to three days old. It doesn't seem to bother them too much at that age. I would have thought that leaving it until November was a bit late, really Confused
Apart from the fact that they will be much more difficult to handle at that age Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink
At least when they are only a couple of days old, you can grab 'em and hold them on your lap. Cool
Or do you plan to "harvest" them without having them castrated?
Good luck with them, by the way.
(Now I will convince you that you should have kept goats instead Wink Laughing Laughing )
Anna-marie
tahir

Anna-marie wrote:
do you plan to "harvest" them without having them castrated?

Yup. I've been waiting all this time for you to convert me to goats, do you want to start a goats v sheep thread or shall I?
Nick

Sell them now. Buy pigs.

You know it makes sense.
tahir

Nick Howe wrote:
Sell them now. Buy pigs.

You know it makes sense.

Yeah but I'll be sooo hungry
Nick

Oh, now. What you need is IslamLite. It's like Islam, with the being nice to each other and stuff. You even get to have multiple wives, but you're allowed bacon and lager. And, with multiple wives, I'd guess you need the alcohol.
Northern_Lad

tahir wrote:
Nick Howe wrote:
Sell them now. Buy pigs.

You know it makes sense.

Yeah but I'll be sooo hungry

I'm sure there's people here who'd trade some daal for a pig. Laughing
tahir

Nick Howe wrote:
And, with multiple wives, I'd guess you need the alcohol.

Hard drugs more like, or brain transplant?
Nick

My son, bacon is like a hard drug. It numbes the senses and makes everything else fade away. Without it, I shake and shiver.

Come towards the light (bring your own ketchup).
tahir

Nick Howe wrote:
My son, bacon is like a hard drug. It numbes the senses and makes everything else fade away. Without it, I shake and shiver.

Come towards the light (bring your own ketchup).

So very tempting, I must fight your porcine evangelism, anyway isn't it supposed to be brown sauce?
Nick

Northern Irish Christians would have you believe brown was the way forward, but it's not. Even the food is colour coded.

Sausages = brown = brown sauce.
Bacon = pink = red sauce.

See, so simple even children get it.

Ignore Jonnyboy, for he is a false prophet from HP.
tahir

I'm sure you've overstepped some kind of line here, this could be worse than the roast potato debate...
Nick

This is not debate. This is fact.

Colour coding gives it away. God has red sauce on bacon, brown on sausages.
sean

Only when he's run out of mustard.
tahir

It's not my place to comment except to say I'll be so bloody angry if I get to heaven and god's sitting up there with a full English on his blinking plate (whatever his choice in condiments).
Nick

Oh, mustard is entirely acceptable. I might even point out that it doesn't matter if it's English or French.

Yeah, right.
Anna-marie

tahir wrote:
Anna-marie wrote:
do you plan to "harvest" them without having them castrated?

Yup. I've been waiting all this time for you to convert me to goats, do you want to start a goats v sheep thread or shall I?

Tahir,
Haven't we already done this? Confused
Anna-marie
tahir

Anna-marie wrote:
Anna-marie

I didn't think you were as vocal in support of goats as ytou might have been.

It'd be nice to have a point by point run down of pros and cons for each (maybe pigs and cattle too), might make the basis for a good article.
Anna-marie

tahir wrote:
Anna-marie wrote:
Anna-marie

I didn't think you were as vocal in support of goats as ytou might have been.

Yes, but Tahir, my approach has been somewhat more devious Cool
Now that you have sheep, it should be pretty obvious that goats come out on top. Wink
I thought I'd let you learn the hard way Laughing Laughing Laughing
Anna-marie
By the way, I will get around to writing the article one day, I hope, but not yet. I'm off to Tunisia for a fortnight next Sunday, and have loads to do before then, sorry Crying or Very sad
tahir

Aha. Is it worth me tracking down a local dairy goat herd to see if they have kids to get rid of for next year?

Have fun in Tunisia
Anna-marie

tahir wrote:
Aha. Is it worth me tracking down a local dairy goat herd to see if they have kids to get rid of for next year?

Have fun in Tunisia

Tahir,
If you want goats, you will probably be able to get some kids for next year.
But, you will need to provide shelter for them. They don't particularly like the rain, and like to have a "home".
They will "browse" rather than grazing, and will help to keep your hedges down. Mine also like the seed heads from docks, so help to prevent next year's growth. They are also partial to nettle leaves, but these have to be wilted before they will eat them, so you will have to cut them for them.
And as for brambles - mine eat all of the leaves, leaving it easier for me to get to the berries Cool
However, you do need to be aware of what plants are close to the goats, as yew is extremely poisonous, and there is a whole list of others that need to be avoided. I have found, though, that as long as there is plenty of the "good" stuff available for them, they tend to leave the "bad" stuff alone.
Many people say that you need high fences for goats, but mine are OK with just normal sheep fencing.
The rest of their management is pretty much the same as that for sheep. Hooves, worming, vaccination, etc. But if possible, it may be wise to keep them separate from the sheep, as they are prone to picking up coccidiosis from them. (They can, of course, be vaccinated against this.)
Goats have the added benefit that they don't need shearing Smile
They don't neccesarily need milking, either, of course, and won't anyway until they have kids themselves.
If you want loads of milk, try a dairy breed. But if you want good meat, try a Boer goat or Boer-cross. You should still be able to get about two litres a day for the family.
Several commercial dairy breeds are now using Boer goats to "beef-up" their herds, so that they get better meat quality from slaughtered kids.
Goats tend to be very sociable - find kids that have been bottle fed. They will be your friends for life.
Here endeth the lesson Wink Very Happy
Anna-marie
tahir

Ta A-M, so in my 3 acre field that is mostly grass with some docks, nettles and blackthorn suckers would they be OK or would I need to supplement their forage?

I probably wouldn't mix goat and sheep and am looking only for meat production.
Anna-marie

Hi Tahir,
You would need to give them some concentrate, too. I use Allan and Paige (or however it's spelt! Rolling Eyes Embarassed ) Goat Mix. It's good, clean stuff, and they really enjoy it. I only give them about half a scoop a day, increasing it to almost a whole scoop during the winter. And of course, they will need good quality hay, too.
You will need to take care that the sheep don't eat the goat's food, too, as it contains too much copper for them.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Anna-marie
tahir

Another limping one yesterday, scald, gave it a clean out and a spray.
Mary-Jane

tahir wrote:
Another limping one yesterday, scald, gave it a clean out and a spray.

Aaaaah - the joys of keeping sheep Tahir. Fun isn't it? Wink
tahir

Yeah, I won't repeat what the missus said Laughing
tahir

Well, first one is slightly better now but still limps, 2nd one seems to be fully recovered
sean

tahir wrote:
Yeah, I won't repeat what the missus said Laughing

She'll never manage to shove one up there.
tahir

Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home