Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Bodger

First night.

My kids bought me a trail cam for Christmas and I set if for the first time last night. Hopefully I'll have some interesting pictures for you to look at over the next few weeks.

Not quite a blank but almost. I got this one last night.

and when I let the ducks out this morning, one of the ducks got to the camera before I did.

I'm going to have great fun with this little gizmo.
Mustang

Cool! I gotta get me one of those! What make/model did you get?
Went

They're great fun Bodger - I find I get better results if I leave it in the same place for a few consecutive nights. Look for runs, trails and droppings and place accordingly.
Bodger

Its a Bushnell Trophy Cam.

I bet you get far more interesting stuff than we do Wentworth. Thankfully, we don't have deer or boar, but we do get plenty of foxes and I'm 99% sure that I found some badger prints in the mud a few weeks ago. We normally have dozens of rabbits around the place but they've been quite few and far between this last few months.
Chez

My sister is involved with the local otter watch; she had some wonderful pics she was showing us yesterday. They're great gadgets!
Bodger

I've just repositioned the camera so its watching a fox or badger run through one of our hedges.
Went

I've just repositioned the camera so its watching a fox or badger run through one of our hedges.

You can always temp a badger to stop for a while with a few peanuts.
Bodger

It doesn't need peanuts, I fear that it fancies my chickens. Laughing
Went

It doesn't need peanuts, I fear that it fancies my chickens. Laughing

Do they take chickens then? I never knew that.
Bodger

Very much so. They have the equipment to make mincemeat out of anything but the sturdiest of chicken accommodation. Unlike foxes, you aren't allowed to shoot them either. Went

So far (6 months) we've had at night: deer, badger, fox, pine marten, mouse....and cats. Would love to film a genet but they are fairly rare in this part.

We don't have any rabbits or hare around here which is really surprising given the terrain and no-one can tell me why?
sean

'Cos you've got badgers, foxes, pine martens and cats? I'd go and live somewhere else if I was a rabbit. Luath

Do they take chickens then? I never knew that.

They certainly do, and ducks Sad - and take the side of your sheds off
Bodger

So far (6 months) we've had at night: deer, badger, fox, pine marten, mouse....and cats. Would love to film a genet but they are fairly rare in this part.

We don't have any rabbits or hare around here which is really surprising given the terrain and no-one can tell me why?

More likely its because the locals eat them. They are delish. Very Happy
Bodger

I got this at picture 8.40am this morning.

but just a few hours earlier, this b*****d passed the same fence post on its way towards my chickens.

I've had a fiddle with the camera settings to see if I can get some clearer pictures. Rolling Eyes
Went

You can fiddle with the sensor level - I find mine changes depending on how cold the weather is. Set it to high rather than auto if you can and try that. Bodger

Done for tonight thumbup astra

I fancy one of those. I can smell this fox around my garden...I'd like to get a look at him too! Bodger

They're also handy bits of security kit too. ideal if you're having any kit stolen from those out of the way places. Once they're switched on there isn't a red stand by light showing and they don't go off with a flash. SandraR

So tempted Smile

Do please keep posting photos of your secret night life Wink
Bodger

Yer what? Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing dpack

I got this at picture 8.40am this morning.

but just a few hours earlier, this b*****d passed the same fence post on its way towards my chickens.

I've had a fiddle with the camera settings to see if I can get some clearer pictures. Rolling Eyes

does the camera have a detect detonate setting for radjel?
Bodger

Speak English man. withstupid dpack

radjel=foxey in the cornish language

detect=to find deliberately

detonate=detonate

the payload is up to you if it has an output socket:lol:

cage trap is probably safer and much more legal

sorry i often call an upcountry fox "radjel" forgetting he has other names (mostly unpostable ones )in other languages
Bodger

Apparently, us toffs call him Reynard. Rolling Eyes Bodger

We have a fox visiting us at the moment and have a cage trap set for it but as we haven't been having much luck, I set the camera to see what's been going on. Here are the pictures that I got a couple of days ago.

Here come the ducks, it was good job they didn't arrive a few hours earlier.

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home