Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
OtleyLad

First Olives set 8)

I've two Olive tree saplings sat in the conservatory. Well saplings is
perhaps giving the wrong impression - one is more like a sprouting twig (with weeping willow tendancies) and the other a wannabe bonzai.

They're not the prettiest of things and sometimes I've had to defend their right to be there.

I've had them for 3 or 4 years and each year they've flowered but no fruit ever set. That is until now:

Naturally its the smaller one (thats the one that wants to be a weeping willow, you can see the twig is growing horizontally) that has come up with the goods. I hope it hangs on to them.

Both plants have been sat in the same pots for the last two years - is there anything I could feed them to help the fruit grow?
Mistress Rose

Congratulations Otley Lad. Sorry, don't know anything about olives, but did enjoy the spectacle of sons FIL trying to get a fleece covering over his outdoor one a couple of years ago. The thing still died, but they have one right next to the house now, and it should do better there as it will get reflected heat in the summer.
OtleyLad

My ambitions this far north is to plant it out in the polytunnel (with the Peach and Kiwi fruit). Still we'll see how it goes...
Mistress Rose

It should go well with them. Have you had a crop off the others?
OtleyLad

It should go well with them. Have you had a crop off the others?

The Peach provided us with 2 extremely juicy fruit last year. This year it has 5 on it (its less than 1 metre high).
The Kiwi is in its third year and unfortunately started into growth early and most of the new shoots were killed by frost. Its picked up now and carrying on as if nothing happened although there're no flower buds showing.
They share the tunnel with a Chardonnay grape which produced enough for a gallon last year - we're hoping for more this season...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home