Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
jema

Fix to unread topics display

I can't quite believe this one, and it may be something that was only a problem with Firefox3 and the way cookies are stored there, but....

Cookies have a 4kb limit, if as phpbb2 does you try and track 150 topics for read/unread status, then the cookie won't get reset eventually, it will just sit there as it was from months back. This is because more then 138 topics is more than 4kb...
tahir

Blinking nora, been waiting for this for years, ta Smile
jema

I still can't quite believe it myself, always thought, well cookies are tricky things, the code in phpbb2 is complicated, and ffs we are on phpbb2.0.23 that's 23 chances to get it right.... so what can I do by wading in except make things worse?
jema

Of course if you have the problem it will not look instantly correct. Your cookies are wrong and will only get better over time.
tahir

Hmm. I've just cleared my cookies, everything's marked unread but I've still got 3 pages of latest posts...
jema

That is the other change made a few days ago, latest posts always now returns 3 days worth.
tahir

Gotcha.
JB

Well done for fixing it, but ... I've been running FF3 here for a while now and had never noticed a problem.
jema

It will depend on how often your cookies get cleared.

I can see this one in action. I have a bit of code that displayed what topics were in my cookies. It was stuck dead and the cookie size was maxed out. I reduced the limit to 138 and now each topic I view is appearing in the display.
I guess different browser may handle being given an oversize cookie differently, mine seems to ignore it.
Emyr

Any reason why PHPBB3 isn't an option?
jema

Because it is still far from stable and gives us little we can use, we don't a have now.

We are not really running phpbb2 here! For a start we are running the phpbb3 template system!
Silas

What are you doing here man?

Go and look after your good lady.
jema

Silas wrote:
What are you doing here man?

Go and look after your good lady.

Not a lot I can be doing up there really.
sean

jema wrote:

Not a lot I can be doing up there really.

Can't find your Swiss Army Knife again?
Jamanda

if I look at p2,3,4 of Latest posts I get this

No search results 1773238797 7aba353424b592378381edf2ca2736fa

DEBUG MODE

SELECT search_array FROM phpbb_search_results WHERE search_id = 1773238797 AND session_id = '7aba353424b592378381edf2ca2736fa'

Line : 793
File : search.php
jema

Works for me.

Have you tried again? and did you have the latest posts page round a long time (including doing a Back in the browser) ?

They are lost after a while.
Jamanda

Yeah, working again now. I expect I did do a "back".

How's Snowy doing?
jema

If this occurs more than the very odd time, I can increase the clean up time.

No more news on Jean, will be heading up for 7pm to see her.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home