Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Woodburner

fixing fence post to concrete wall

I am trying to ringfence a large part of our gardens with leccy fence, but there are a lot of sheds along the middle. The best route would have the fence going up to the walls of a concrete shed, leaving the door accessible without turning off the electric. Unfortunately the base for the shed extends some 6" further out than the walls, so we can't just put a fence post there in the normal way, and a 6" gap is too big for safety.
Drilling at least two holes in the concrete seems to be unavoidable, but I would be very, very happy to find a solution that doesn't involve any damage to the shed! The shed staying intact for as long as possible is very important!
I have seen really heavy timbers attached to a stone wall by bolts set into some kind of filler, and it seems a good idea to use that method as it won't exert any pressure from in the hole and will stop moisture getting in, but I don't know what kind of filler they used. Do any of you know what a suitable filler is called? Either a brand name or the generic name please?
12Bore

Could you not use eye bolts and attach the leccy fence to those?
Quick and simple.
Woodburner

That was sort of my first thought, only ring insulators rather than eye bolts, but I'd need several of them and I'd really rather not make any holes at all(!), plus how do I fix them in the concrete? Fixing a chunky piece of wood then screwing insulators into that reduces the holes in the concrete, but I still need to figure out how best to fix bolts to the concrete shed.
12Bore

Drill hole, using masonry drill (and HSS bit if the concrete has steel reinforcing) insert plastic Rawlplugs, screw in bolt. If you want to, you could fill the hole once you have installed the eyebolt/ring insulator to keep the moisture out.
onemanband

Set post as close as you can and fill gap with timber ?

I'm assuming that drilling through the concrete and bolting through is not an option.

What about concrete screws ? I use them on brickwork as they don't exert outward pressure and are less likely to blow the brickwork on a corner then an expanding fixing.
three ravens

2 ways i use are either a chemical resin fixer called Chemset (you can get it from screwfix) you drill an oversized hole inject the resin in and push your threaded bar in 20 min later you can bolt the post on
or Thunder Bolts these are bolts that cut their own thread into stone/concrete. both work well, the only problem i can see you might have is the reinforcing bar in the concrete it can be a bugger to drill,depending on the strain you are putting on the post a metal strap fixed with screws/rawlplugs filled with silicon sealer might be the way to go
Woodburner

12bore, interfering with reinforcement is a definite no-no, if it exists, and was another worry, so we have decided to go with the ordinary post and fill in the gap after all. Embarassed

Set post as close as you can and fill gap with timber ?

I'm assuming that drilling through the concrete and bolting through is not an option.

What about concrete screws ? I use them on brickwork as they don't exert outward pressure and are less likely to blow the brickwork on a corner then an expanding fixing.

Drilling and bolting is an option, but we'd rather not tamper with the concrete, as the shed is far more important than the fence. If we do go back to the bolting idea I will get back to you about those screws though.

Thanks, both of you, for your suggestions. Smile

eta thanks also, three ravens, that was the stuff I was thinking of. Smile
Tavascarow

On your description this is what I've come up with.
Electric fencing doesn't need the tension of ordinary wire or stock fence so it might work.
RichardW

You could use expanding foam to fix the post to the wall.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home