Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Cobnut

Flexible insulation for gypsy caravan

Hello
My plan to downsize radically involves a bow top gypsy caravan which, because I plan to live in all year round, needs to be well insulated. The maker uses Alububble insulation (as it’s flexible enough to cover the curves and thin enough not to take up valuable space) and I’d like to know how effective this stuff is. It seems as though there are few suitable products on the market [thin and flexible] although a quick browse has unearthed Spacetherm/Aerogel (http://www.proctorgroup.com/index.asp?tm=151). Trouble is I know nothing about insulation so any technical data is lost on me. Is there anyone in the know who can advise me please? Also (and this should be easier) I wonder what would be ideal to use to insulate the floor of the caravan? It can be rigid but ideally thin.
Thanks.
Beth.
sean

No idea.
You could try contacting these people and asking what their vans have as insulation.
vegplot

I can't help but ponder the romantic bow top gypsy caravan and modern insulating materials. Something doesn't seem quite right.
Brownbear

vegplot wrote:
I can't help but ponder the romantic bow top gypsy caravan and modern insulating materials. Something doesn't seem quite right.

Then again, if the auld romantic Gypsy folk had had access to high-quality insulating panels at a reasonable price, I dare say they'd have used them. I suppose they used horsehair and felt blankets, because they had access to them.

I'd like a nice old Harris Tweed suit, but I wouldn't feel the need to submit to Victorian-era dentistry if I had a toothache whilst wearing it.
Gervase

Aerogel, for its weight and thickness (minimal) is about the most efficient insulation material ever made. It's not cheap, though.
The stuff the maker uses is essentially bubble-wrap with a layer of aluminium foil. It's adequate, but not as efficient as, say, a multifoil.
Cobnut

sean wrote:
No idea.
You could try contacting these people and asking what their vans have as insulation.

Thanks Sean. Their website says the open lot has felt insulation but doesn’t mention the bow top, so I’ll give them a ring today to find out.

vegplot wrote:

I can see where you’re coming from but this will be my (hopefully long term) home, not a caravan that only gets used in warm weather, so it has to be as well insulated as possible. Heating will be a combination of a wood burning stove and a LPG heater and I want that heat to stay in. It'll be towed by a pick-up truck so not the most romantic image on the road anyway Wink

Gervase wrote:
Aerogel, for its weight and thickness (minimal) is about the most efficient insulation material ever made. It's not cheap, though.
The stuff the maker uses is essentially bubble-wrap with a layer of aluminium foil. It's adequate, but not as efficient as, say, a multifoil.

Thanks Gervase. Within reason price isn’t a factor; it’s more important to me that I can stay warm and dry all year round in the UK. So if it’s worth paying more for Aerogel because it’ll do the job far better than the cheaper Alububble I’ll seriously consider it. Do you know how they compare, both in efficiency and price?
Cuansir

What progress have you made with your bowtop? We are about to start a build and would appreciate a chat!

Richard & Consuelo Forestlandmarks@aol.com
onemanband

A bloke renovating a canal boat down the road/canal from a job I was once on, had a contractor come in and 'fill' his boat with spray-on foam. He then carved out the inside to its finished shape.
Don't know if this method could be of use.
Tavascarow

What progress have you made with your bowtop? We are about to start a build and would appreciate a chat!

Richard & Consuelo Forestlandmarks@aol.com

Hi welcome to the forum.
If you send Cobnut a personal message they will probably get notification via e-mail & get back to you quicker.
They aren't frequent posters.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home