Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Rob R

Flixton Island goes on the market

Can we organise a whip-round?

http://carrswetland.wordpress.com/
dpack

if ds buy it can i help manage it?tis a very special area.even if it is a bit damp
Rob R

I'm sure that would be on the cards Wink
Hairyloon

Between us we easily have the knowledge and capability to make something of it.

It would not be impossible to raise the finance if we were to set our minds to it.
Probably we would not manage it before this one sells, but we could at least think about how we would do it if we were going to...
OtleyLad

550,000 for 108.9 acres - that's 5050.50 per acre.
Wish I had some spare cash.

I know someone who can plan an appropriate Iron Age village for the site Wink
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Oh, that's dead near me! That'd be awesome!

Lemme see.... I have about 50p and some Thai baht. Any good? Sad
wellington womble

Between us we easily have the knowledge and capability to make something of it.

It would not be impossible to raise the finance if we were to set our minds to it

Both of those are easy. The difficult bit would be getting any kind of social and cultural structure to organise running the island in place. Skills and knowledge would be in ample supply and doing the work would be a piece of cake. Getting people to agree what should be done, by whom, when, by what method and how often would be a nightmare. The Committee for the Correct Potato Roasting Technique would be debating for months before we got a Sunday roast. Herding cats wouldn't be in it. I'm not coming.
dpack

i think spud roasting would not have been an issue in the neolithic

management for sustainability re stock/crop,access for archeology,public access/education are all fairly strait forward and should not take more than a side of a4 each

build a village might have a few hoops to jump (and stilts to build on)through but i dont think that should be a priority Laughing
Nick

I'm with the Womble.
Hairyloon

The difficult bit would be getting any kind of social and cultural structure to organise running the island in place.

Is not so difficult: they managed it in the stone age.
Quote:
Getting people to agree what should be done, by whom, when, by what method and how often would be a nightmare. The Committee for the Correct Potato Roasting Technique would be debating for months before we got a Sunday roast.

So you don't run it by comittee.
The person that has asked for roast potatoes takes responsibility for the potato roasting team.

How did you propose raising the funds?
I can think of a few ways, but all of them involve selling the idea to people and to do that you will already have had to at least sketch out the menu, at least insofar as a couple of options on the potato question.
Rob R

I'm with the pack. He seems to know what's involved.

19k annual income, before any rental looks feasible.The trust would be more than happy to help with management/advice. Just need the capital.
Nick

Just for fun, Rob, what kind of figure would you expect to pay/receive for annual rent for that? Per acre, if it's easier. (I ask you, cos you're fairly local, anyone else can answer). dpack

different parts would have a very different economic profile

the paddock might be worth a fair bit to a horsey type or a bit less to a stock fattener

the squelchy stuff a lot less but it is worth something to somebody or it might be suitable for reed cutting,water meadow grazing or something i aint thought of

if there are fish ,day or yearly permits are a nice earner for minimal fuss.

that the investment earns 4% before any rental is quite a bit better than an isa or building society account so owt on top is a nice bonus for folk with some spare cash if my simple maths is correct
Nick

The HLS income is only good for a maximum of 9 years, mind. But, yes. Hairyloon

I'm with the pack. He seems to know what's involved.

19k annual income, before any rental looks feasible.
If I understood the sales details correctly, it already has an income set up. Some undefined acronym I think: i assumed some kind of grant.
Rob R

6.5 - 8k, perhaps, speaking as someone who has only seen the sales particulars. Nick

6.5 - 8k, perhaps, speaking as someone who has only seen the sales particulars.

I had a similar figure in mind. As dpack says, not a bad return. Imagine it'll be snapped up.
Rob R

6.5 - 8k, perhaps, speaking as someone who has only seen the sales particulars.

I had a similar figure in mind. As dpack says, not a bad return. Imagine it'll be snapped up.

It will, the worry is that it won't be someone sympathetic to the archaeology, but time will tell.
Rob R

Nick, have you bought it yet or is it still worth me doing the lottery tonight? Nick

Heh. Do the Lottery. I'm not really at the buying bits of land point in my life, right now.

Tell you what, I'll throw in a quid, and we can go halves?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

My 50p contribution still stands Wink Rob R

Anyone know how many people we need in the syndicate to pretty much guarantee a win? Smile Nick

Anyone know how many people we need in the syndicate to pretty much guarantee a win? Smile

For the UK lottery, it is, I think, about 14,000,000. This will guarantee you will win the jackpot. However, it doesn't prevent other people also winning, and sharing it.
Rob R

Hmmm, 106 acres over 14m - that's 0.187 sq m each, but then we do only need 500k... Hairyloon

Hmmm, 106 acres over 14m - that's 0.187 sq m each, but then we do only need 500k...
<4p each.
Rob R

I've just looked at it again, and I'd got the sums totally wrong - it's 108.9 acres and 550k, so only 125p/sq m, Hairyloon

it's 108.9 acres and 550k, so only 125p/sq m,
Go on then, put me down for a couple of dozen.
sean

Oooh, a land grab. NorthernMonkeyGirl

If I put in my tips for the afternoon, I have 1.50... Laughing Nick

If I put in my tips for the afternoon, I have 1.50... Laughing

Are you a waitress? If so, yell, I'll dig out some stuff that was shown to massively increase your tips.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

If I put in my tips for the afternoon, I have 1.50... Laughing

Are you a waitress? If so, yell, I'll dig out some stuff that was shown to massively increase your tips.

I am, sort of, though tips are "not encouraged". Probably lowers the tone of the place Wink
But sure, I'll have a read!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home