Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
tahir

Flogging a Dead Horse

Radio 4 Friday 11:00 Flogging a Dead Horse
Adam Hart-Davis tells the story of how horses have been re-cycled through history. The Victorians re-used the carcass of the horse on a huge scale, making whip-lashes, cavalry trousers, carriage roofs, sofas, chairs, fishing lines, buttons, oil, candles, and fertiliser.

But who used horse bones as ice skates, and when and why did we stop eating horses in Britain?
jema

Re: Flogging a Dead Horse

Tahir wrote:
and when and why did we stop eating horses in Britain?

If someone watches this, I'd like to know? for that matter did we ever eat dog?

jema
tahir

I won't be watching it cos it's on the wireless, I'll be recording it and listening to it when it comes up in my rotation (around 4 weeks time)
Dunc

Tahir - I seem to remember you record programs to listen to on MP3 whilst shopping - how do you record them? Is it direct onto PC?

Cheers,

Dunc
tahir

Yes I do, but sadly quite difficult nowadays, Psion have stopped making the Wavefinder (should still be able to find one on eBay though) and Modulartech who made a PCI DAB card have gone bust. If you can get a Wavefinder I'll tell you how to set it up as long as you haven't got XP Service Pack 2 (in which case you're stuffed)
Dunc

Curses, I do have SP2.

Not to worry, I'll have to wait for the all-singing, all-dancing programmable, hard drive carrying DAB radios that are now in the shops to come down in price Very Happy

Thank anyway.
jema

Dunc wrote:
Curses, I do have SP2.

Not to worry, I'll have to wait for the all-singing, all-dancing programmable, hard drive carrying DAB radios that are now in the shops to come down in price Very Happy

Thank anyway.

DAB has to be one of the biggest price stitch ups going.

The first generation wre mono for flips sake and over £100 Rolling Eyes

Even now they seem to be making them deliberately crap, so you will have to buy another later on.

jema
tahir

But PC based DAB is too cool for words
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home