Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
kyoto

Fly Agaric Emerges

There was something Alien-esque about the way this Fly Agaric was emerging from the ground ...

cab

Fantastic pictures! How long did that take?
dpack

nice snaps
they are usually earlier than now round here
i used to have a patch by my doorstep in a different house ,well pretty .
kyoto

cab wrote:
Fantastic pictures! How long did that take?

I pointed my growth-accelerator ray gun at the little critter, and up it popped in like a jack-in-the-box Very Happy .... [a-hem]

(pssst .... they were actually 2 specimens of fly agaric that just happened to be next to each other ...)
sally_in_wales

beautiful, it seems a good year for them Cool
Penny Outskirts

Stunning pics - I've never ever seen one in the flesh Sad
sean

There's loads this year. I could post you one if you like?
Penny Outskirts

sean wrote:
There's loads this year. I could post you one if you like?

I'll go hunting I think - but thanks all the same Very Happy What sort of habitat do they usually live in?
Jonnyboy

sean wrote:
There's loads this year.

Same here, saw plenty of Russula emetica as well
cab

Penny wrote:

I'll go hunting I think - but thanks all the same Very Happy What sort of habitat do they usually live in?

Slightly acid soil, and birch trees seem to be their favourite haunt.
dpack

the are usually twinned with birch roots but i have seen them under young oak
ps if anyone is wild enough to try them they are very variable both between clumps and through the season ,best avoided ,tis but a short step between flying with the magic reindeer and a tragic misadventure .without careful preperation (12 month process ) an active dose is accompanied with a fairly toxic dose of other active ingredients and even when done properly this experience is more ordeal than bliss out .
cab

Or, to put it more succictly, if you're thinking about trying fly agaric, don't.

Although you can make a reasonably effective fly killer out of them. Get a saucer of milk, leave a bit of fly agaric in it on a windowledge, somewhere warmish; you want the milk to start to spoil and dissolve the 'goodies' out of the fly agaric. Flies come down, attracted to the milky shroomy goodness, an they die horribly in fits of wierd hallucinations (or it looks like that from the wierd little walking around things they do).
dpack

Laughing
i think we covered that Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home