Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
sean

Fly agaric...

If there's loads of this around, what edibles should I be looking for?
nettie

Well, blewits are here already, parasols still going strong, horse mushrooms and bay boletes still around too.
Treacodactyl

We've just come back from a couple of woodland walks and in second woodland we went to we saw hundreds of the Fly Agarics, the most I've ever seen, even forming rings in places.

Alas we didn't see that many edibles but we did find a few Ceps, Brown Birch Boletes and some Saffron Milk Caps.

In the first woodland we saw a large amount of Ceps, most a bit past it. Unfortunately the woodland was National Trust and you can't pick, but it is good to see them about.
ross

I've just come back from my 2nd ever fungi foray (first was last weekend). We found quite a few species, but amongst the edibles were puffballs, ceps, bay boletes, some russulas and shaggy ink caps. Also have some shaggy parasols in my garden.
ross

quick question- can you eat the stem of the shaggy ink cap. Am about to cook today's haul in an omlette, and the fungi foray leader said she doesn't eat the stems.
cab

ross wrote:
quick question- can you eat the stem of the shaggy ink cap. Am about to cook today's haul in an omlette, and the fungi foray leader said she doesn't eat the stems.

Yeah, you can eat them, but they're kind of fibrous.
cab

Fly agaric is almost always found with birch. So look for other birch associated species, so that's mainly various Leccinum, Boletus, Suillus, Agaricus and Russula. They're all about at the moment.
judith

Saw a patch of fly agaric yesterday - with several manky brown birch boletes nearby.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home