Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
TheGrange

Fodder Beet

Does anyone know of anyone in and around the Derbyshire/cheshire/staffodshire/south yorkshire

Who supplies fodder beat?

Thanks Smile
Julie S

If you find anyone could you let me know please? I am in the Peak District and am also keen to find some fodder beet - trouble is I don't need huge quantities.....
Rob R

Best approaching someone locally who has it growing in their fields, as it's not really a feed you transport far... I've never heard of fodder beet for sale round here anyway, people tend to just grow for their own needs.
towerhill

Is fodder beet the same plant as the "beet pulp" we soak and feed the horses in winter?
Rob R

No, that'll be sugar beet
towerhill

ahhh. thanks.
resistance is fertile

Might be no help this year, but its incredibly easy to grow and the yeilds are generally great Smile .
TheGrange

Thanks.

I know its easy to grow, and i know its not a crop grown locally and they do transport it to these ere parts. the chap i normally get it from has retired and doesnt know of anyone else locally who'd supply 2 - 3 tonne.... they do it by the 100 tonne Shocked

Thanks anyway Very Happy

Edited to say: i exaggerated slightly Laughing they said 30tonne was the minimum on the phone.. but may as well have been 300.. i can't use tha much in one go!! Laughing
lassemista

How do you grow it?
Andrea.
Rob R

Everything you need to know about fodder beet...
Mrs R

if you had the storage for 30tonne perhaps as there's others wanting it in small quantities you could maybe do a bit of dealing and end up essentially getting yours free Cool that's what i'd do anyway!
TheGrange

Ixy, it's a good idea however i don't have the storage Sad
lassemista

Thanks for the link Rob. Is it possible to get seed in small quantities - I might suggest OH grows some for the goats.
A
Woodburner

TheGrange wrote:
Ixy, it's a good idea however i don't have the storage Sad

Maybe someone else the old chap used to supply does? Could you get a list off him and ask around?

lassemista wrote:
Thanks for the link Rob. Is it possible to get seed in small quantities - I might suggest OH grows some for the goats.
A

Thomas Etty do small packs.
MANGOLD-WURZEL
Yellow Eckendorf - A variety much prized by wine
makers, and, (we are informed), those who keep Horses, Pony’s
& Goats. 250 seeds £1.45p
Suffolk Herbs and Tuckers Seeds do them too.
Mrs R

might be talking out of my ass here but i thought fodder beet was a hybrid of mangels and sugar beet?
lassemista

Thanks for the links.
A
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home