Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Hairyloon

Food packaging and labelling rules.

I am looking at going into oil: catering supplies.
The first problem I need to address is a source of suitable containers, and google obviously offers lots of possibilities... probably too many, so I'd appreciate any recommendations.

But one question which comes to mind is the possibility that the containers could be re-used.
If they only ever get clean oil put in them, then there is no logical reason why they shouldn't be, but how does the law stand?
What are the requirements for cleaning and sterilisation?

And is there anything the label has to say which is not obvious?
Rob R

It would probably best to address these questions to your local EHO, as they all seem to have different interpretations of the law & they are the ones you'll have to satisfy to trade.
Pilsbury

As I know your intentions isn't it likely tu are going to want them to put The used oil back into them for you to collect? There fore its probably not going to be possible to reuse them.
Anyway, most chefs see them,as a perk of the job and find many thousands of uses for them lol
Hairyloon

As I know your intentions isn't it likely tu are going to want them to put The used oil back into them for you to collect?

It is arguably best all round that I provide other containers for the waste.
And so far, the only supplier that has come back to me deals in used containers: clean, but not sterilised, so I still want the answer.

Quote:
Anyway, most chefs see them,as a perk of the job and find many thousands of uses for them lol

We haven't had too many ideas on that front. I'm open to suggestions.
Chez

Speak to your local EHO and to the Food Standards Agency. They will be able to advise you.
Pilsbury

My garden is full or 15 liter tubs for potatoes, oca,
I use them to store compost and sand and grit.
I have one full of salt for doing The path.
I marinate inthere, brine in them.
Aaron had a few full of toys,
they are going to hold a bug out kit when I get round to doing it, one on the kitchen side for veg scraps and one for shredded paper.
When empty Tue dehydrators it goes in a bucket for 24 hours to stabilize before its,packed, .....
Hairyloon

My garden is full or 15 liter tubs for potatoes...

Does your oil come as a solid?
I am not confident of the seal on tubs for liquid oil. Confused
Pilsbury

No its liquid but it film sealed under The plastic lid. Hairyloon

No its liquid but it film sealed under The plastic lid.
Ah yes... sealing is another thing I will need to think about...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home