Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Shan

Foot Long Mussels

Whilst snorkelling in Turkey, we came across many mussels, which were at least a foot long! I was wondering if they are edible and if so, are they any good?
dpack

if they are in clean water with no pollutants or toxic algae afaik all bivalves are edible.

do the locals eat them is often a good indicator .
sally_in_wales

were they these general sorts of bivalves?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33691781
Shan

were they these general sorts of bivalves?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33691781

Yes it was! I thought because of the shape and because of the mussel beds that it was just a rather venerable mussel. Very Happy
Shan

Pleased I didn't try to eat them. Looks like they are a protected species! Trouble is, my first thought about most things tends to be whether it is edible or not! Laughing
dpack

Pleased I didn't try to eat them. Looks like they are a protected species! Trouble is, my first thought about most things tends to be whether it is edible or not! Laughing

ummm me too .there are quite a few things that are now protected species that are (were) delicious.

something that strikes me about "protection"is that if folk find a critter delicious they might make the effort to protect it's habitat and harvest them sustainable ,much like the wildfowlers,lobster fishermen and scallop divers do.
Shan

Agreed. It would be profitable for both the individual and the environment! Mistress Rose

There is also some sort of bivalve from which the Phoenicians obtained a 'purple' dye. Don't know much about it, but that was so precious that it was mainly used for kings and religious ceremonies.

Interesting article.
Jam Lady

I thought that was a whelk, used to make Tyrian purple to dye the emperor's toga. dpack

big snails Nick

Agreed. It would be profitable for both the individual and the environment!

Hasn't worked for sturgeon, or whales, cod, tiger, rhino or any other species I can think of.
dpack

north sea cod are back on the sustainable list iirc and the ones we were eating in northumberland were huge.

tiger and rhino are a "cash crop" for poor folk to sell bits of to rich folk rather than dinner for the locals(as were whales during the industrial harvest).

im not sure what the sturgeon position is at the mo ,fairly dire i expect.
Nick

Cod are safe to fish again but despite their tastiness and value and desirability, not because of it.

Tigers and rhino survive because men with guns guard them not because eating their dicks makes yours better.

Sturgeon have a tough life due to living close to Russians and Iranians.

If you're tasty, or contain Mycoxaphloppin analogues, you're an endangered species.

A better counter argument is probably cows and sheep.
sean

If people had decided to farm tigers 'One Man & His Dog' would have been a lot more exciting. dpack

If people had decided to farm tigers 'One Man & His Dog' would have been a lot more exciting.

Laughing
Shan

Agreed. It would be profitable for both the individual and the environment!

Hasn't worked for sturgeon, or whales, cod, tiger, rhino or any other species I can think of.

What about Safari Parks? They would not exist if they could not show the punters various wild animals.
crofter

Quote:
Predatory seals are constraining the recovery of cod stocks in Scottish West coast waters, research led at the University of Strathclyde suggests.

Losses of cod, through fishing and natural causes, have remained high for many years and have caused long-term decline in the stock – in some years, fishing removed around 50% of the total weight of the stock. The study found that, although fishing has now halved, predation by seals has rapidly increased to compensate, eating up more than 40% of the total stock.

If people started eating seal meat it could be a solution?
crofter

Quote:
Planners have given the go-ahead to a giant fish farm at Chelston scheduled to produce over £20m of caviar a year.

Russian entrepreneur Igor Stopnikov is behind a plan to build a 100,000 sq foot facility that will produce caviar in Wellington worth up to £22m a year at retail prices, making it by far the town’s biggest business.

When they run out of sturgeon in the rivers of Russia they can always import from Somerset.
Treacodactyl

Quote:
Planners have given the go-ahead to a giant fish farm at Chelston scheduled to produce over £20m of caviar a year.

Russian entrepreneur Igor Stopnikov is behind a plan to build a 100,000 sq foot facility that will produce caviar in Wellington worth up to £22m a year at retail prices, making it by far the town’s biggest business.

When they run out of sturgeon in the rivers of Russia they can always import from Somerset.

Makes you wonder how much it would be worth if they sold it in jars rather than boots.

I've always wanted to keep a few sturgeon (the fish that is), rather fun as far as fish go.
dpack

"milking"a fish the size of a large moo is a task i dont want on my list of chores Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home