Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
gil

Foraging fruit in the rain

Seeing as it's *issing down, and likely to carry on intermittently for a while, what should or shouldn't you forage in the rain.

I know that berries (straw/black/rasp) go mouldy in rain. But does the same apply to harder-skinned fruits like rowans, sloes, crab apples, or even rosehips ?

And what if you take them home, wash them and use/freeze them immediately.
cab

I wouldn't worry about the rain if you're going to use the fruit (or freeze it) quite quickly.
wellington womble

Good, cos I'm going blackberrying tommorow come hell or a lot of water! I missed them all last year!
wildfoodie

blackberries will taste watery if picked in rainy weather. They need a good couple of days of sunshine to convert all the water they absorb into sweetness. Sloes also swell up and are more fragile in wet weather, and therefore prone to splitting and bruising in your collecting basket.
hubby , who is the sloe gin expert in our house, says the fat watery ones are not the best for gin.
Crab apples - not had a problem - except the yucky grey/white slugs ( probably infant slugs) which seem to go for the fallen crabs in wet weather
there is a lot of folklore and astrology on the link between plants and moon activity, aka biodynamics) one rule is never to pick stuff for preserving and storing when the moon is in a water sign - ie cancer, pisces or scorpio - as you will have spoilage problems. so, it's bad news for fruit pickers this weekend, moon leaves Cancer on Monday 6.34am UT Sad
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home