Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
ScarySara

fox proof run

after 2 years of blissful chicken keeping we lost our cockerel to (presumably) a fox yesterday. They are in an unelectrified electric fence, mainly running along a post and rail fence which d.t. sagging is only about 2.5' tall in places but it keeps the chickens in and dog out. I assume if we electrified it the fox would just jump it?

if we build a run with wood and chicken wire, without a roof, how tall does it need to be? and if we were to run it inside the post and rail fence can the fox climb the post and rail and then jump from there?

I have been advised to dig a trench a foot deep and bury the bottom of the fence in that so that the fox cannot dig under, that sounds like a good idea but then of course it is not movable

anyone got any practical advice on building a run?
onemanband

Re: fox proof run

I have been advised to dig a trench a foot deep and bury the bottom of the fence in that so that the fox cannot dig under, that sounds like a good idea but then of course it is not movable

anyone got any practical advice on building a run?

I've never kept poultry but plan on getting some in the very near future so have been following the poultry stuff on here and mulling over what poultry housing I will build...
Anyway I have wondered if pegging chicken mesh (attached to run) flat to the ground for a foot or so all round the run would act as a fox tunneling deterant ? Would be easier than trenching for a movable run.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Array Home Home Home Array