Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
saffranne

foxes strikes again

never felt so damn low,even chocolate is not doing its jobs,braeburn our gentle giant of a dark brahma was basically eaten by the foxes during the night,he was put in a rabit hutch on sunday with a large enclosure because the pencil hamburg cockerel was picking on him all the time

although this weekend we were going to make him a bigger coop and put the gold brahma hen with him as they were always together

letting everybody out this morning,i notice a few holes under the fence,after letting the ducks out and the hens,went to see to braeburn,there was feathers all over the place,foxes had rip open the roof and pull him out,bits of him on the ground

the guilt we feel today is just awful,we thought we were protecting him from pencil hamburg,but we made it worse for him and send him to his death,all the damn hutches is going to be burned tonight

sorry folks both john and i dont feel good about ourselves at the moment
judith

So sorry to hear about Braeburn, Saffranne. It's particularly tough when you thought you were doing the right thing for him.
Crying or Very sad
saffranne

yes it is,and i had to email john at work to tell him,he feels terrible because he did not have the time on sunday to make a coop for braeburn,and now the guilt is setting in but we did what we thought was best at the time,we have used these hutches before with no problem
caths

so sorry to hear the news saffranne, but don't beat yourself up about it - it isn't your fault, you did the best you could at the time, and "if only" doesn't change anything - he had a good life, and sometimes s*** happens - he must have been a very determined fox - plan for the fact he may come back
regards
C
dpack

e lectricity
safe as chooks in a safe place

radjel is an opportunist

i mourn your loss
saffranne

thank you so much all of you for the kind words,tears still flooding,will be worse when john gets home later,we have had many loss through foxes but never at night,fortunately the hen house and duck house are solid
dpack

please electrify
grannie says so
Bodger

Chicken wire alone is not enough. I've had a fox rip a hole through brand new chicken netting to snatch a bird.
Penny Outskirts

I really feel for you saffranne Sad

Do Foxes ever get through electric fences?
@Calli

Saffranne

So so very sorry. Sometimes the fox wins but

Quote:

Plug into the mains, higher voltage than battery.
saffranne

they must have come just after midnight,i heard pencil hamburg crowing i just thought he had lost the plot as he starts at 3am normally,but its now obvious that something had disturb him in the main hut,fortunately that one is very secure and so is the duck house and all bolted and padlocked

i dont feel any anger towards the foxes,but we fail to protect braeburn,the gold brahma hen goldie is calling for him,just been to see them

we need to make plans for the months coming as they will start hunting early to feed the cubs

unfortunately dpack electric fencing is not an option,due to complication with the paddock and the field right of way,but we will fence off the pen and bring them back down early and leave german shep in the paddock,we had thought before of giving it all up,but it would not be the same without them
Bodger

Penny wrote:
I really feel for you saffranne Sad

Only when you forget to switch it on Penny, which is a very easy thing to do. I've had mains electric fencing protecting my chickens for 7 or 8 years without any losses.
Penny Outskirts

We currently have battery powered. How difficult is it to convert to mains ?
Nick

Easy. Buy a different unit. The fencing is the same.
Bodger

My mains electric fencing unit was some of the best money I ever spent. No need to worry about batteries going flat and what a whack it gives out ! Shocked Shocked Shocked
I think the make was " hot foot" and it claims to be strong enough to energise up to two miles of fencing.
Treacodactyl

What happens to mains powered fencing when you have a power cut? Can you get battery backup?
Bodger

Not on mine T, but I do have a seperate battery unit
@Calli

I am on mink alert - sighting of a pair by the farm gates ( by drainage ditch)

Spent the last hour battening down Sad Sad
fenwoman

Calli wrote:
I am on mink alert - sighting of a pair by the farm gates ( by drainage ditch)

Spent the last hour battening down Sad Sad

just the 2? Enough for a nice mink collar then Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home