Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Cathryn

Foxes

A few days ago I lost two hens to a fox. She took them at dusk when we were out checking on the sheep and all the dogs, unusually were with us. (I found the feathers from one of them some distance away on a hillside when I went to untangle a sheep from brambles.)

I also have a very miserable cockerel. I'm wondering if he managed to narrowly escape the fox. He is quite large and he was the boss until a few days ago. Now he just sits in the vinery looking very sorry for himself. Today he was driven out by the now dominant cockerel and has spent the entire day in the dark space behind an outhouse door. His tail feathers are ragged but apart from that I can see noting wrong with him. He accepts odd bits of food from me. Has this happened to any of yours or is he just ill in some not obvious way do you think?

We had a lamb whose mother obviously rescued him from a fox. You can see the puncture wounds on the top of his skull and the bitten off tail. He was very miserable for a day or two as well but he's out playing king of the castle again now.
Nicky Colour it green

sorry to hear the fox problems

does sound like the cockerel might have put up a fight and is damaged as a result.. I guess time will tell Sad
wellington womble

Occasionally, I consider moving to the Isle of Man. Bloody foxes!
Jamanda

Are there no foxes on the IOM then? I did not know that.
Nicky Colour it green

same as Isles of Scilly - tempts me all the time
Jamanda

Warmer - though you would have to contend with international gig rowers every-so often.
Nicky Colour it green

Warmer - though you would have to contend with international gig rowers every-so often.

I think I could cope with that Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home