Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Blue Sky

Free holidays in France

First taker ... Sally (in Ireland, not Wales).

I will put up a calendar to let people know which weeks are still available when I get chance.

Hope to see you folks soon Very Happy

MARCH and APRIL still AVAILABLE
pricey

That's great news Simon.

Well I can recommend it to everyone, it is a fantastic place to go and stay, and Simon and Zoe are the most loveliest people to.

We will be coming young man, 2 nights is just not enough, we were all so relaxed, it is so peaceful, and no box, heaven.

Honestly people I am not just saying this, you have to go.
sally_in_wales

oh that sounds so very tempting. I wonder if I can find a week where I can escape from work, and whether our van would make it that far (not to mention back full of goodies Smile)
Sally Too

Ahhh I think a rush of enthusiasm went to my head!

Turns out from N.Ireland we would need to drive 8hrs through Ireland, then a 17hr ferry crossing & then 8hrs on..... Confused

So I looked into Ryan air.... & they don't fly from Ireland to Limoges! Sad

So Simon drink a little red wine for me and enjoy your visitors.... I love to meet like minded folk and am sad this won't work.... Still it was fun to think about it for a bit!

Smile

Sally
Blue Sky

Thanks Sally (both Sally's in fact ... and Pricey).

You have helped me get a thread going to promote our free offer. Smile
2steps

sounds lovely but sadly not possible for us
sean

Got to check a couple of things then I'll be in touch.
sally_in_wales

How many does the place sleep Simon? I was thinking maybe a couple of couples/families could share the travel if the place would take everyone squeezing in and being friendly Cool
Blue Sky

The cottage will sleep a family of four comfortably Sally.

There is a sofa-bed in the living room area so I suppose if two families were to share then they would have separate bedrooms but would still have to share a loo/shower room.

I still reckon it is a bargain Wink
sally_in_wales

Sounds promising, Gareth has just reminded me he has no holiday left this year, but maybe next year we will be there with bells on Smile
Blue Sky

That would be even better Sally. Our very own re-enactment of the French Resistance maybe? Can I be Renee? Very Happy

Seriousely, I love the sealed knot re-enactments in York when we were there. Hope to see you soon.

S
sally_in_wales

Simon wrote:
That would be even better Sally. Our very own re-enactment of the French Resistance maybe? Can I be Renee? Very Happy

Seriousely, I love the sealed knot re-enactments in York when we were there. Hope to see you soon.

S

I've done the Viking festival in York on several occasions, what event do the SK do there? Somehow I hadnt thought of York as having a particularly civil war focus.

You have some re-enactment groups in France, especially medieval ones. Some of them are excellent from what I've seen
Blue Sky

sally_in_wales wrote:
I've done the Viking festival in York on several occasions, what event do the SK do there? Somehow I hadnt thought of York as having a particularly civil war focus.

What, you mean you don't do war of the roses? Heck, don't mention it to NL ... he will be distraut. He dislikes us easterners to the end or so I am told Wink
Blue Sky

And if it wasn't the Sealed Knot that did the "war of the roses" re-enactment battles in York then I appologise but it was bloody good anyhow.
hardworkinghippy

Simon,

I'm being serious now.... Cool

I really fancy "getting away from it all" can I take you up the free holiday if I bring socks ??? Smile
sally_in_wales

Simon wrote:
And if it wasn't the Sealed Knot that did the "war of the roses" re-enactment battles in York then I appologise but it was bloody good anyhow.

Sealed knot do English Civil War, so it wouldnt have been them doing WOTR stuff, I used to do the Viking festival there many years ago, these days we mostly do Roman and Fourteenth century. There are loads of groups that do the late fifteenth century stuff though, so no idea which one you saw Very Happy
Blue Sky

hardworkinghippy wrote:
Simon,

I'm being serious now.... Cool

I really fancy "getting away from it all" can I take you up the free holiday if I bring socks ??? Smile

Most certainly Smile

17-22 Feb is taken so far. Any other dates are still available.

Just let us know when. We have other people interested in Feb, so first come first served. Wink
Blue Sky

sally_in_wales wrote:
Sealed knot do English Civil War, so it wouldnt have been them doing WOTR stuff, I used to do the Viking festival there many years ago, these days we mostly do Roman and Fourteenth century. There are loads of groups that do the late fifteenth century stuff though, so no idea which one you saw Very Happy

That's funny, I could have sworn it was the sealed knot that we saw in York but I am obviousely mistaken. I remember a mate of mine trying to persuade me to join the SK so maybe that's where I am getting confused. (I didn't join BTW. Wish I had now)

Thinking about it .... neither did he Rolling Eyes
pricey

hardworkinghippy wrote:
Simon, holiday if I bring socks ??? Smile

Socks , socks, did some one mention socks, take them as many pairs as you can get Laughing how many days can I wear them without washing them did you say?
hardworkinghippy

That is between you and your conscience...

Cool
jamsam

well, im that interested that i have even looked at crossing times!!!

according to google, it would take 16 hours if we used the channel tunnel from here..i will investigate further..

how much would the heating oil cos then?? are we talking hundreds??
oohh..ohh..what about the kids..no..i dont want them to come...more room for wine...
Blue Sky

jamsam wrote:
how much would the heating oil cos then?? are we talking hundreds??

THOUSANDS actually! Especially if you are bringing your kids Wink

The cottage has a small Parafin heater which does a very good job of heating the place indeed (and it doesn't even stink of parafin).

Th oil cost about 6 euros (per 5 litres) from the local SuperU and that normally lasts about three days if it is cold out. Might be less in Jan/Feb if you have it running 24/7.

It would be great to see you if you get chance.

S
madmonk

Don't you give them my duck Laughing Laughing Laughing
Blue Sky

Laughing

No worries. It will be tucked away in the deep freeze long before the rabble get here Wink

Oh, and it's "our" duck by the way Cool
madmonk

Simon wrote:
Laughing

No worries. It will be tucked away in the deep freeze long before the rabble get here Wink

Oh, and it's "our" duck by the way Cool

OK "OUR DUCK" have you fitted the cooker yet?
zigspider

Hi,

sorry to butt in, but I was in the SK, and we re-enacted the battle of Marston Moor just outside York ( Fairly close to Stamford Bridge as it happened) Just happened to be the biggest Battle of the civil war in 1644.

Got a fair few odd looks getting on a bus to go into York shopping mind you.

Jerry
hardworkinghippy

Simon, I'd like to come over to your place when there are other people around too if that's possible ? I'd like to meet a few downsizers.....lurk

The end of February would be good for me, March is gardening time. Wink

I don't take up much space and I can sleep anywhere that's warmish. I could bring a mattress and duvet so that other people could have the gte.

We could even have a little party...... drunken
Blue Sky

hardworkinghippy wrote:
Simon, I'd like to come over to your place when there are other people around too if that's possible ? I'd like to meet a few downsizers.....lurk

The end of February would be good for me, March is gardening time. Wink

And you will be made most welcome HWH although I don't yet know where we will put you that is warm enough. We will sort something out Very Happy

Ian & Luis (in Spain) have the cottage that week. The house is very warm now the stove is in so don't worry!

Latest booking ......

fenwoman

Now if you were really clever Simon, you would deep litter all livestock over Winter and then started the mucking out during the first 3 months in 2007. People coming for their free holiday would then feel obliged to muck in (or out) hehe.
I am heartbroken I cannot come over for a long weekend but nobody can manage my animals. Hmm I wonder if I can con my son into coming for a week then could visit you and see my little brother over there too.
fenwoman

Sally wrote:
Ahhh I think a rush of enthusiasm went to my head!

Turns out from N.Ireland we would need to drive 8hrs through Ireland, then a 17hr ferry crossing & then 8hrs on..... Confused

So I looked into Ryan air.... & they don't fly from Ireland to Limoges! Sad

So Simon drink a little red wine for me and enjoy your visitors.... I love to meet like minded folk and am sad this won't work.... Still it was fun to think about it for a bit!

Smile

Sally

I have a cunning plan.......... howsabout offering B&B to DS members who want to visit Ireland?? That way you will meet up with people, swap eggs, drink Guinness, etc.
Don't panic, I can't come....the animals need me here.
fenwoman

zigspider wrote:
Hi,

sorry to butt in, but I was in the SK, and we re-enacted the battle of Marston Moor just outside York ( Fairly close to Stamford Bridge as it happened) Just happened to be the biggest Battle of the civil war in 1644.

Got a fair few odd looks getting on a bus to go into York shopping mind you.

Jerry

To make it REALLY authentic, did you have a white standard poodle doing battle and biting the enemy? Surprised
Blue Sky

fenwoman wrote:
Now if you were really clever Simon, you would deep litter all livestock over Winter and then started the mucking out during the first 3 months in 2007. People coming for their free holiday would then feel obliged to muck in (or out) hehe.

Nice idea fenwoman Wink Remind me, when do Lidl have that offer on for cheap spades Laughing

Here's the latest ...

madmonk

Simon I will be over this week possibly wednesday anything you need?
Blue Sky

Nothing that I can think of but thanks all the same. We would love to see you if you get chance - come over to our place. You could even enjoy Roast Duck for lunch if you give us a day or two notice Wink

How long are you staying in France this time?
madmonk

Just myself and my son this time, we are bringing over the caravan and some more stuff, I will try and pop down for a quick visit, we have liquid gold for you and Irene when she comes to visit you, well you lot never seem to have enough t-bags Laughing we arrive sometime wed/thurs and are booked in to go back sunday, see you in the next few days.
pricey

Madmonk where are you sailing from, as I have three box's of books to go if you have room.
madmonk

Full this time Pricey, but I will be going again in about 6/8 weeks and will gladly make space as we have a roast duck waiting for us Laughing PM me your phone number some time and we can arrange a meet. Regards Ray
Blue Sky

madmonk wrote:
Full this time Pricey, but I will be going again in about 6/8 weeks and will gladly make space as we have a roast duck waiting for us Laughing

There will be lots and lots of pork aswell by then Wink

Sean and Mandy are crossing Poole/Cherbourg. I don't know if they have any space left and I don't know how close you are to Poole but it may be worth enquiring? What's this anyhow? Not more paperbacks for HWH Very Happy
Nick

I'm driving over to Lyon and Reims on or about the 9th Feb, if I can take any? I'm afraid I'll have the family with me, and a route to keep to, and I have no idea where anyone might want me, but...
sean

We could prolly fit them in.
pricey

sean wrote:
We could prolly fit them in.

Thanks Nick, but I think you will be going from Kent, no? Bit to far for me to come with some books, thanks for the offer though.

Sean I will pm you, Poole is only 10 Min's from me so I can meet you at the ferry, that will be great & Simon , Zoe will have new reading material.
Tay

Sorry to butt in on the conversation here, but will anyone in the not-too distant future have any space for either two passengers or for a few things such as books/files/pc's (without monitors)? This would be wanted to get from France to the UK - either Kent or oop north.

I can contribute to fuel costs; I just desperately need to return a few things to England.

Lastly, Simon and HWH, as we ran out of English teabags last year (haven't had enough visitors recently!), and had to go hunting around here. Champion do some reasonable teabags for about 50 centimes for 25, and E. Leclerc do some rather good teabags for about 1 euro for 25, with discounts on larger boxes. Even Super U own brand tea is pretty cheap and not bad. Much better than the Yellow Label tea by Lipton.
Tay

MadMonk - are you MadMonk2 on Total France forum? If so, you are only 20 minutes from us if you are at St. Benoit du Sault.
Blue Sky

That's him!

Somewhere else for you to call for tea and biscuits Ray Wink

Yes, Zoe uses the Super-U tea bags and she reckons that they are OK

Pesonally I am with Cobbett 100% so wouldn't know

Tay, have you asked on Total France? There are usually people moving stuff from here to UK and vice versa. Obviousely it would be better to meet fellow downsizers where possible
Blue Sky

pricey wrote:
Sean I will pm you, Poole is only 10 Min's from me so I can meet you at the ferry, that will be great & Simon , Zoe will have new reading material.

Thanks people. That's very decent of you all.

We'll share Cool
Nick

Tay wrote:
Sorry to butt in on the conversation here, but will anyone in the not-too distant future have any space for either two passengers or for a few things such as books/files/pc's (without monitors)? This would be wanted to get from France to the UK - either Kent or oop north.

Not this trip, I'm afraid, I'll be full of ski gear and cheap alcohol. Next time I'm over, I'll yell, for sure, tho.And, yes, Kent it is.
pricey

I thought you might be going from that side, but thanks for offering.

Going to meet Sean, Mandy & Ben in Poole, for a cuppa.
Tay

nickhowe wrote:

Not this trip, I'm afraid, I'll be full of ski gear and cheap alcohol. Next time I'm over, I'll yell, for sure, tho.And, yes, Kent it is.

Cheers. Any idea when that might be, or shall I try to get hold of MadMonk first? Do you live in Kent? Sorry, just being nosy. Cool
Blue Sky

This thread is looking more like Mafia 4 than Mafia 4 thread now Laughing
sean

vote Simon Wink
Blue Sky

Cheers bud. Reasoning? Cool
sean

Dunno, I'm not even playing Mafia 4. Probably.
Penny Outskirts

Vote Sean

Just becuase I'm missing playing this one Sad
Blue Sky

Who let Penny in! Stowaway! Somebody call the captain fast!

Whoops, Embarassed sorry, it's make believe. I did have a bit of a deja vu there though Wink
Tay

Arghhhh!!! Is there no escape from this game???
madmonk

Just got back and have to report that Simon makes a mean chicken and mushroom pie, and when those of you going there when he says to turn at the end of a long straight road it is longer than the previous long straight roads you will go through Laughing Laughing

Tay where are you in Indre?
Blue Sky

madmonk wrote:
Just got back and have to report that Simon makes a mean chicken and mushroom pie, and when those of you going there when he says to turn at the end of a long straight road it is longer than the previous long straight roads you will go through Laughing Laughing

Tay where are you in Indre?

I'm just glad that you enjoyed the pie Ray.

Next time you still have your duck to luck forward to. If you don't bring the missus with you next time then I think we will eat it anyhow Wink

Yes, there are quite a few "long straights" on the D979 but ours is the longest! Laughing

Keep going folks until you see the signs for Chateauneuf-la-foret then you know you are at the bend of THE long straight bit! Cool

I think the Romans got here long before we did Wink
Tay

Hi MadMonk

We live near to Lignac; 20 minutes from St. Benoit, 10 minutes from Les Herolles. Is your house actually in St. Benoit, or a village nearby?
madmonk

Hi Tay, our place is on the outskirts of a village called Parnac about 3k from St Benoit.
Tay

I've driven through Parnac a number of times, but haven't stopped there. I know a few people in that area, but not you it seems!
pricey

Well are you ready for your guests today, just going to meet them at the ferry with some goodies of all of you, enjoy Wink Laughing
pricey

Well they are all loaded up and on there way, have a great time you three, wish I was going.
Blue Sky

Yep. The sheep are out of the cottage and back in the cowshed. I just need to get the place swept out now. Thanks in advance for the stuff. I owe you one.
Went

If it is really cold can you put the sheep back? See you Sunday.... Laughing
Cathryn

Ian and Luis wrote:

Laughing You may live to regret that!
pricey

Thank you Simon that was really nice, but I told you not to Wink

Sean & Mandy & Ben were here at lunch for a coffee, and they showed me the pics, I think a great time was had by all.
Blue Sky

Ian and Luis wrote:

Sheep are re-installed Ian.

Hope you are bringing your wellies Wink

S
sean

We're back. Had a fab time, thanks to Simon, Zoe and the boys. Mandy'll prolly post some pics in a bit. Bit knackered now as we had a gig to go to this evening.
Jamanda

Mandy will post pics tomorrow. Right now I'm dreading how many pages of mafia 5 waffle I've got to get through!

But yes - we had a fantastic time. Who'd have thought that Simon & Zoe come from a few miles away from where I grew up in Yorkshire?
Went

Thanks Smon and Zoe for a great week in France - great part of the world, good company and very comfortable.....

Hope your ventures in France continue to thrive, hope you get lots of bookings........take note Downsizers Wink
Blue Sky

Thanks Ian and Luis for your great company for the week. Sorry that the weather wasn't better but I'm afraid we cannot do much about that.

It is good to know that you have made it back home to Spain safely.

We look forward to your next visit (and we recommend June July August to avoid the flippin' rain)

As you know, you are welcome any time as are all the DS members.
madmonk

Simon , just booked to come over on 14th until 18th anything you need, also Tay and did you manage to get your stuff back to uk I will be returning with an empty van but going over I will be full one.
Blue Sky

Thanks Ray,

There is nothing that we need at the mo' but thanks for asking;

There was mention a while back of people in the UK maybe wanting kilner jars taking back (as they cost a limb and a limb in UK apparently):

I am more than happy to go shopping if anybody wants some getting but you will have to arrange to pick them up from MM; An empty van is alot of jars Wink

I will start a thread on this later in the year if two criteria are met ,;,

1. There is enough interest
2. The downsizer meet-up 2007 is a goer

I don't mind packing a few jars into me van if I manage to get over in the summer;

S

(staff only for the link i'm afraid Sad at the minute),
Blue Sky

Jamanda wrote:
Mandy will post pics tomorrow.

What happened to the piccies Mandy? Very Happy

If anyone would like to come out in April we have no current bookings for the cottage so it is still available (free) to downsizer members.

S
hardworkinghippy

Sorry I've been humming and hawing about when I'm coming Simon. I do need to get away for a break and I'd love to meet up with you lot.

You're only two hours away, but it just feels like the other end of the earth. I think I'm actually suffering from agrophobia or something after living here for so long and never going out. Shocked

We've started shearing the goats, sorting the fleeces will be quick because we're going to use them for insulation this year. Then I must get my greenhouse sorted out then after that I'll be free. Very Happy
Jamanda

Simon wrote:
Jamanda wrote:
Mandy will post pics tomorrow.

What happened to the piccies Mandy? Very Happy

If anyone would like to come out in April we have no current bookings for the cottage so it is still available (free) to downsizer members.

S

I put one on the bunny burger thread! I'll put some more up tonight. What about yours?
Blue Sky

Hi HWH,

Just think about all the teabags we have for you Wink Best of luck with the goats.

S
Blue Sky

Jamanda wrote:
What about yours?

OK, how about we start with this one Laughing

Sorry Mandy, couldn't resist.

Love those wellies
hedgewitch

You're looking a little.... tyred, there, Mandy Embarassed Laughing

Great wellies Very Happy
Jamanda

hedgewitch wrote:
You're looking a little.... tyred, there, Mandy Embarassed Laughing

Great wellies Very Happy

Missed that! Actually, it was nice to find a swing that was roomy enough for my a*se. I'm sure they used to be bigger!

I'd like to see the downsizers on the steps one Simon. And the picnic one.
Jamanda

Here's one!
Blue Sky

Yeah, the house looks pretty grim in winter, we nicknamed it Amityville Very Happy

Edit: Just resizing piccies ...
Penny Outskirts

French houses are such a beautiful shape! Great wellies Laughing
Blue Sky

Here we go ...

Picnic at the beach

Downsizers on the doorstep Very Happy

Nettie in 2006 (hope you don't mind)

Pricey and family - 2006 (sorry you got the cr^p weather mate)

Sean, Mandy and Ben (Feb 2007)

Didn't manage to get a pic of Ian & Luis as they were away early. Sorry guys. You will have to visit us again. Cool

Any more takers for a free holiday then? Ignore the chart - April is available too. See link
Jamanda

Simon wrote:
Yeah, the house looks pretty grim in winter, we nicknamed it Amityville Very Happy

Edit: Just resizing piccies ...

It doesn't look grim! Good photos!
Blue Sky

Jamanda wrote:
Here's one!

I'm glad you took that photo actually Mandy. The field that you were stood in will be a building site soon and it will no longer be possible to get that angle Crying or Very sad
madmonk

Crocadile dundee want's his hat back Laughing Laughing possibly see you next week.
Blue Sky

madmonk wrote:
Crocadile dundee want's his hat back Laughing Laughing possibly see you next week.

Excellent! Don't forget to shave for the camera Wink

Oh, and I'll have you know that my hat is from Christy's and it does not sport corks Rolling Eyes
Cathryn

Happy families Very Happy

But the top one's a wood not a beach Laughing
Jamanda

madmonk wrote:

Sean's got one just the same - he must have taken it off for the photo - hang on

There you are! Very Happy
Jamanda

ruby wrote:
Happy families Very Happy

But the top one's a wood not a beach Laughing

It was a beach!
Blue Sky

Jamanda wrote:
It was a beach!

It sure was! Cool

It looks alot nicer in the Summer.
pricey

They say the camera never lie's, so why cant you see it is pouring down in our picture? Laughing
Blue Sky

'cos I is edited the raindrops out of it of course Rolling Eyes

Some folk Laughing
Went

No photos of Ian and Luis eh?........could it be that we were just too good looking.......early start....poor excuse Wink
Jamanda

Ian and Luis wrote:
No photos of Ian and Luis eh?........could it be that we were just too good looking.......early start....poor excuse Wink

Well how about you rectify the situation!
Blue Sky

I know, it's a crap excuse sorry. Maybe you could email me a pic and I will super-impose you onto our front steps Very Happy

Just had a visit from Anders, yet another DS member.
Anders

That was me visiting. Gatecrashed the family BBQ (fuelled by Simon's homemade charcoal!!!) and had some great bunny burgers, - (I think we are going to have rabbits too, yumyum). Beautiful day with clear skies and loads of sun. Great view from the house. Simon showed me round their place. Really nice, I am hoping Judith and I can do something similar next year when we move over. Would have liked to see some pigs but unfortunately they were in the freezer and hanging in the kitchen in the form of bacon. We then went for a walk and just had a good time. Unfortunately I had to rush of to a dinner, bad planning on my part, but I'll drag Judith along next time and maybe we can try out your gite and a bit of homebrew? You should come round and see us too. If you go to see Madmonk we are on the way so it is really easy. Thanks a lot guys and see ya soon.

Anders
Blue Sky

Thanks for the invite Anders. We will most certainly take you up on that offer. Let us know when you are next over.

I think MM is here this week.
madmonk

I'm back 4 days of red tape was enough practice this time, I only want to build a shed Confused
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Home Home Home Home Home