Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
percypony

Free Muck!

I know this is a long shot but if anyone is in the South of Hampshire and would like some free horse manure we have a 18 month-2 year old heap that would like a new home and purpose in life!
We have had a few people come and get 10 or 20 bags for their gardens but it has hardly made a dent in it and with four horses regularly topping it up it is a never neding supply!
Anyway, let us know!
Sarah x
nettie

Can I jump in too and say if anyone from Essex would like some then please PM me!

Very Happy
tahir

I've got a bit of a compost mountain, but I'll ask if my dad wants any
Gertie

Question On the subject of horse manure, we have a muck heap which has manure taken from our stables so it contains wood shavings. I also have a manure heap on side of the field, which is just droppings collected from the field.

The original muck heap with wood shavings is over two years old in parts. The small heap I have on side of the field is about 8 months old.

How long would you say that these types of manure heaps need to be left before using to be dug into an allotment?
nettie

I dunno hun. Most peeps just want to dig out the black rotten stuff in the middle and leave the rest Shocked
Treacodactyl

I think it would depend on what you are growing and what your soil is.

I don't wait for the straw & shavings in our chicken compost to rot down completely for our garden because the bulky matter helps retain moisture in our dry chalky soil. I rot it for a few months in summer to help reduce the harshness of the droppings and use it as a mulch.

For some plants like blackcurrents I remember adding our rabbit droppings unrotted around the base of the plant (not touching the stems).
mbeirnes

I get free muck delivered straight from the field....
In winter when there is nothing growing it goes directly on as a mulch and the worms do the work

In summer I have a pallet construction for storing it.

The wood shavings take about a year to start rotting, the problem is they drain nitrogen from the soil unless the have rotted down.

I also have have a collection point for this. You could use it as paths till it is ready Shocked
Gertie

Very Happy Good advice.

Thanks for the information.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home