Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Wombat

Free Web Hosting

Is there such a thing out there?
My cheapest quote so far is £25/yr + vat, from a local chap who runs a server.

Wombat
bagpuss

google points here http://www.freewebspace.net/
jema

There is no such beast.

Free will either means they stick adverts on, or they will pull the rug on you in future.

Incidentally as of 12 hours ago, I have my own fast web server that I can offer hosting on!

I'd like to host a few downsizer members !
joanne

Actually that this subject has come up now is perfect as my Dandie club website is up for renewal (including the domain name) and at £250 a year for very little apart from a couple of mysql databases,webmail and an tomcat server I'm reluctant to renew it - especially if a better server and hosting package can be found

The cheapest so far I've found is HostRocket which works out at £40-£50 a year but you have to buy 2 years worth in one go which means that if you don't like the service you get your stuck with it

Jema - I'd much rather buy some space from you - what are you planning to offer - I am happy doing all my own installs - its all the dns and moving the domain registration stuff I'm uncomfortable with

Joanne
Mat S

Jema - tell us more! I'm after a linux host in the uk with ssh access for (surprise!) running mambo on. No massive size reqs, cost and speed are important.

Mat
jema

Well we are talking a 2.4ghz 512mb ram server.

With buckets of disk space and a 900gb transfer limit a month.

I have root access and it is also "managed" for security updates.

So far there is:

http://www.myfreeforum.org/
http://www.m4webdesign.co.uk/

on the server and that is it. If the former did become a heavy load, I promise i'd deal with it.

You could have php/mysql/ssh no worries also a Plesk control panel.

I believe the going rate for that sort of hosting to be £6 a month. I have seen it cheaper, but I think that can only render support a joke! In fact sod it, that may be the going rate, but I will say £10 a month if you want that sort of hosting. I believe in a support ethic and that has to be vaguely sustainable.
joanne

Right - a PM about this is on its way

Thanks Jema

Joanne
Mat S

I'll get back to you next time I'm after another shell account. - probably when I've waited excessively long for some overloaded us based machine to squeeze a page out to me.
jema

Mat S wrote:
I'll get back to you next time I'm after another shell account. - probably when I've waited excessively long for some overloaded us based machine to squeeze a page out to me.

I hate to see that, and one of the reasons I won't be making this the cheapest offer on earth is that I damn well want to add more servers if need be, so it never happens on my servers.
jema

Another neat idea here Smile Even if I do say so myself.

http://www.m4webdesign.co.uk/content/blogcategory/0/32/
footprints

free webspace

For completely free (not advertising supported) webspace I have used ecosse.net for years.
The nice people at ecosse give you some thing like 50 meg and free web based and pop email.
As far as I know there is no support, but if you follow the instructions and like to fiddle you will get on just fine.

http://www.ecosse.net/
jema

Re: free webspace

footprints wrote:
For completely free (not advertising supported) webspace I have used ecosse.net for years.
The nice people at ecosse give you some thing like 50 meg and free web based and pop email.
As far as I know there is no support, but if you follow the instructions and like to fiddle you will get on just fine.

http://www.ecosse.net/

But that is not free! you pay to update your site via the phone access.
footprints

free webspace on ecosse

Hi. The question was free webspace and ecosse has it . The only completely free upload is if you use somebody elses phone line.
Unless.... somebody knows differently?
jema

Re: free webspace on ecosse

footprints wrote:
Hi. The question was free webspace and ecosse has it . The only completely free upload is if you use somebody elses phone line.

My belief is that aside from downsizer Very Happy there really is no such thing as a completely free lunch, and if you are hosting anything serious you are better of paying a sustainable rate for the service.

I can honestyl say I have said that for years and not just for the last 3 days, in which I have started being a service provider.
footprints

jema wrote:
footprints wrote:

My belief is that aside from downsizer Very Happy there really is no such thing as a completely free lunch, and if you are hosting anything serious you are better of paying a sustainable rate for the service.

I can honestyl say I have said that for years and not just for the last 3 days, in which I have started being a service provider.

I agree about the free lunch and the fact that if you were setting up a business, it would be folly to put it on a free server.
I have a web based business selling domestic drinking water filter systems and that is obviously on paid server space because you need the security.
Iv'e been playing with websites on unpaid server space for a little over ten years. I used to have a website on geocites (anyone remember geocities?) that pulled 10,000 visitors a week. Geocities please at the traffic I was generating gave me an extra 30 meg free of charge to play with, and I continued to play with their blessing. Then one day yahoo bought them out and I disappeared!
Years of linking, all that traffic (small dollar income) gone.

I you just want to have a play before you put your hand in your pocket ecosse is the business. I have had space on ecosse for years without a hiccup. I think that they generate some income if you use the penny a minute number given, but that is not a condition of usage and you can just use your present isp. They also support FTP.

Again, I totally agree about the free lunch, (probaly got it tatooed somewhere on my body) and I can hear my family saying "yeah yeah we know" , but I have to say ecosse comes close Smile
footprints

jema wrote:
footprints wrote:

I agree about the free lunch and the fact that if you were setting up a business, it would be folly to put it on a free server.
I have a web based business selling domestic drinking water filter systems and that is obviously on paid server space because you need the security.
Iv'e been playing with websites on unpaid server space for a little over ten years. I used to have a website on geocites (anyone remember geocities?) that pulled 10,000 visitors a week. Geocities please at the traffic I was generating gave me an extra 30 meg free of charge to play with, and I continued to play with their blessing. Then one day yahoo bought them out and I disappeared!

I you just want to have a play before you put your hand in your pocket ecosse is the business. I have had space on ecosse for years without a hiccup. I think that they generate some income if you use the penny a minute number given, but that is not a condition of usage and you can just use your present isp. They also support FTP.

Again, I totally agree about the free lunch, (probaly got it tatooed somewhere on my body) and I can hear my family saying "yeah yeah we know" , but I have to say ecosse comes close Smile
jema

footprints wrote:
jema wrote:
footprints wrote:

Sound like you know your I.T? We could do with a few more techies round here Smile
Wombat

Thanks for all replies and advice.
Wombat
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home