Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Rob R

Freebees...

Freebees!

After quite a stressful few days this has made my week - we had family visiting to meet Anne for the first time and were walking acroiss the fields with the pram. We managed to get through the sheep field, despitre being mobbed by the Wensleydales for the herbal pony treats that Nat took to entice the sheep down for our definitely-not-country guests only to be confronted at the next gate by a swarm, from which we quickly doubled back!

Having seen the beekeepers card in the feedstore window we had been meaning to contact him for a few weeks now, so got straight on the phone. He turned out to be a lovely chap, very enthusiastic about coming down [unlike all the other beekeepers we'd contacted previously, who never turned up/called back Confused ] and collected the swarm. So, finally we have got our own tame beekeeper & he'll be coming back, possibly with 'our' bees when he gets the hives sorted out. Good day. Smile
Lorrainelovesplants

Good for you.
Ive put a card in our local shop also, in the hope that we can swell our 3 colonies.....
Barefoot Andrew

He sounds like the bees' knees.
A.
DawnMK

was speaking with another local bee keeper today he has collected 15 swarms this month Surprised we have collected 3 in the past week good luck with your bees Very Happy
Tavascarow

I've collected two swarms this week.
One for friends down the road a few days ago & one for myself today.
Mine still refuse to swarm!
Nell Merionwen

do you think that the decline of our bees may be levelling off? Or is this hopeful thinking?
Rob R

do you think that the decline of our bees may be levelling off? Or is this hopeful thinking?

Changeable weather, our chap told us.

We're doing our best though - just need to buy out nextdoor and have more acres of chemical free land for them...
wizz

Don't s'ppose it's for sale? (even if it was affordable) Very Happy
Rob R

Don't s'ppose it's for sale? (even if it was affordable) Very Happy

Nope, he's still with us, though I suspect we won't have a hope unless fortunes change rather dramatically. We'll keep trying, though.
Tavascarow

There seem to be more colonies surviving in the wild.
Twenty years ago a feral colony was a rare beast so yes IMHO the bees are coping with varroa better.
They still can't cope with the cocktail of chemicals that industrial agriculture keeps throwing at them though.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home