Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
bernie-woman

french beans again

I am sure I read on a post here yesterday that you could still plant french beans and get a crop this year - I cannot find the thread now

Is it too late or not - I have never planted them this late but have had such a disapointing crop that if it is at all possible to get a firly decent second crop I will give it a go
judith

You can but try!
I would start them off in modules, rather than sowing outdoors. And I would go for a dwarf variety as well. Even if you only get a few right at the end of the season, it has got to be worth it.
tahir

I've got loads of seeds if you like I could post some in the morning.
Behemoth

I'm guessing that they'll keep going till it gets too cold so if we have a good september you'll be in luck.
bernie-woman

tahir wrote:
I've got loads of seeds if you like I could post some in the morning.

I have got some thanks Tahir - unnamed variety of dwarf beans which I will give another go and report back if I get any - but that reminds me I mooted a seed swap a while ago - perhaps need to resurrect the idea to see if it is a goer
Bernie66

Try planting them in pots. If we do get an early cold spell then they can be moved into cold frames/unheated greenhouse to extend growing season
bernie-woman

Bernie66 wrote:
Try planting them in pots. If we do get an early cold spell then they can be moved into cold frames/unheated greenhouse to extend growing season

They're in and they're in pots Laughing I will let you all know if I get a crop at all Laughing
Bernie66

I will pick your brains for a french beans topic Laughing
wellington womble

I'm going to bung some in as well, and see what happens. Nothing lost if they don't crop!
Andy B

I saw a broad bean on the telly the other day with red flowers, does anyone know its name and has anyone ever grown it ?
bernie-woman

Andy B wrote:
I saw a broad bean on the telly the other day with red flowers, does anyone know its name and has anyone ever grown it ?

there is one called "crimson flowered" which funiily enough has red flowers. the following link gives a pic
http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/yorkshireLeisure/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=47&ArticleID=984035

bernie wrote:
Andy B wrote:

there is one called "crimson flowered" which funiily enough has red flowers. the following link gives a pic
http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/yorkshireLeisure/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=47&ArticleID=984035

Ta very much
Andy
bernie-woman

Well I told you I would let you know how the late sowing of beans is going and they are about two foot high with the begfinnings of some flower buds on them - not sure there will be any bees and bugs to pollinate them though now it has gone so cols. In addition I will be away for a couple of weeks very soon so they will have to take their chances water wise. Not expecting a huge crop if anything at all
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home