Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Pea

Frosty Sheep

Quite cold last night, poor sheep have frost on their backs. They are supposed to be black.

Rob R

Lovely pictures Pea Very Happy
dpack

so long as the frost is on the outside they wont mind
at the risk of seeming very wrong
pretty sheep
Nanny

they are pretty sheep

you are not wrong

or misguided
Marionb

Lovely pics, Pea - and lovely sheep too!!
suomi

lovely sheep Pea, we have sheep here, they can go into the barn if they want but seem to prefer staying outside all the time, even when its down to minus 20oc! tough old things! well actually they are used to it being native Finnish sheep.
they have a mighty thick fleece and eat plenty!
judith

So your walkabout sheep all came back home eventually then? Laughing
suomi

yes Very Happy one morning, five days after they went walk about a guy wandered across our field closely followed by our sheep! they were fine.
they have now been slaughtered and we now have five ewes in lamb,should lamb about march.
judith

Brrr. Nights in the lambing shed in Finland Shocked
Hope you have some good thermal undies Laughing
suomi

oh yes Very Happy and a hot brandy seems to help as well Laughing
thats for me,not the sheep! although Im sure theyd have some too if they could! it could be a busy time as last year our friends ewes were extremly productive, most of them had twins,a couple had triplets and one even had FIVE! Shocked they all survived and were healthy,although he did have to help out and do some bottle feeding!
it seems its unusual to have single lambs!
this will be our first lambing experience gulp! so it could be mighty interesting!
so if your free and fancy "an experience" feel free to join us! Laughing
Barefoot Andrew

May someone needs to knit sheep-coats for them. Would dressing a sheep in a woollen garment be a bit perverse? Laughing
A.
Bog Spavin

brrrrrrrrrr........ What lovely atmespheric pics!
mochyn

That's what woolly jumpers are for, Pea! Are they Balwens? Good looking animals.
Treacodactyl

dpack wrote:
at the risk of seeming very wrong
pretty sheep

Whenever I see the thread title I keep thinking "a double vodka will break the ice and get her chatting". Embarassed Laughing
Vanessa

Lovely sheep! Are they Zwarbles? Look like them. 5 lambs from one ewe ... WOW!! Shocked
VSS

Zwartbles rams don't have horns.
Marionb

They are Balwens.
mochyn

Yay: I win the 'name that sheep' challenge! Laughing
Vanessa

Lovely looking sheep! So, Balwens lamb profusely ... and presumably fairly easily (given that several have triplets and the quins you mentioned!!)? I wonder if they're available in France ... Wink
VSS

The Finnish sheep are the prolific ones I think you'll find, not the Balwens.
Finn X Dorset are popular ewes in UK for prolific early lambing flocks.
LynneA

Balwens are escapologists. And small enough to get through gaps impossible to most other sheep,
VSS

Like most of the Welsh breeds - they'll crawl up their own backsides to escape.
Marionb

VSS wrote:
The Finnish sheep are the prolific ones I think you'll find, not the Balwens.
Finn X Dorset are popular ewes in UK for prolific early lambing flocks.

I've never heard of Finn sheep - what do they look like? (I've got a couple of Dorsets, hence the interest)
VSS

Similar to the Friesland milk sheep, if I remember correctly, but it's a long time since I worked with that breed so I may be mixing them up in my mind. Either will do to cross with the Dorset to produce an excellent early lambing ewe. I remember having over 200% lambing from Finn/Dorset ewe lambs in December! The adult ewes performed better still.
Pea

LynneA wrote:
Balwens are escapologists. And small enough to get through gaps impossible to most other sheep,

That is one thing I have not had any problems with this breed. I used to have a few suffolk mules and they were always getting out on to the tow path. I have a few palces they could escape easily but they have not bothered.

As far as I know they usually lamb single the first year and twins there after.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home