Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Annemieke

Frozen pork trotters - any suggestions?

Yesterday a neighbour gave me: 9 pork trotters, 4 pigís ears and a lot of belly fat. All frozen together in a big lump. I could only just fit it in our freezer.
I intend to make the trotters into stock to freeze in batches; cook the ears; and would like to make the fat into crackling and lovely dripping. Itís all more or less organic.
The trouble is, I have to defrost and deal with the whole lot in one go. And I would have preferred just one pigís worth, instead of two! Iíve offered half on Streetbank (http://www.streetbank.com) and freecycle, but I donít expect many reactions.
Has anyone got suggestions?
Do you live near here (Ilminster) and want half of it?
Can I freeze crackling, or will it keep a long time as it is?
Will it help if you add salt to the crackling?
Thanks! Love AW.
Nick

I wouldn't give a second thought about half defrosting and separating, and re freezing.
Tavascarow

Slow cooked with honey, soy & five spice powder.
Annemieke

I wouldn't give a second thought about half defrosting and separating, and re freezing.

And then, after cooking it, freezing it again?
Annemieke

The whole lot: feet (actually, there are 8...), ears and fat together?
dpack

if the fat has the skin i would go for salt it ,boil it slowly for a while,bag in sections and freeze for quick crackling ,larding roasts etc etc . Nick

I'd happily let them defrost enough to break apart, and then refreeze the bits I didn't want to use there and then. And refreeze after cooking. But, then, I have an immune system. A couple of hours at room temperature isn't going to do any harm, as long as you're not serving to old or sick or babies.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I'd happily let them defrost enough to break apart, and then refreeze the bits I didn't want to use there and then. And refreeze after cooking. But, then, I have an immune system. A couple of hours at room temperature isn't going to do any harm, as long as you're not serving to old or sick or babies.

That's what I'd do if I didn't have room to deal with it all at once.
(I'd render the fat down for lard in a slow cooker, that stores fine, crackling/skin in the oven, chase the dog with an ear, and something vaguely Chinese for the trotters)
Nick

Incidentally, does this mean there's a pig left alive, but with only three feet? sean

The whole lot: feet (actually, there are 8...), ears and fat together?

You missed this post Nick. Unless Annemieke's already gnawed one off the frozen lump. Shocked
Nick

Oh yeah.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home