Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
chez

FS. Sixteen Jacobs' fleeces

Four of which are shearlings.

£5 each, collection from TA4 area. Or post, I suppose, for cost, but have no idea what that would be.
vegplot

A snip!

I'll get my multi-coloured coat.
dpack

Laughing
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Are you on Ravelry etc? Worth a post?
stumbling goat

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the state or condition of what is offered for sale?

Is it skins that one could place on a floor in front of a fireplace? For what? Looking at? Rolling around upon semi naked or......fully clothed?

If these are skins that can be got down and "in contact with", I would like a few, maybe 4?

Would they need treating in any way before they could be used as ornaments or floor coverings?

Are you far from Bristol?

sg
dpack

fleece usually means wool that has been sheared to collect it leaving sheepy with it's skin for further use and the wool ready for processing before making into felt or knitting wool or yarn for weaving into cloth.

the things you describe are usually called sheep skins as you mentioned which is a flayed skin with the wool on taken after sheepy is dead( and before it is cutlets and legs shoulders etc ) then the leather part is cured, wool on for use as rugs ,coats etc.

im sure chez will clarify but whole fleece are usually sold rolled up strait off the sheep ie no leather, unwashed and uncarded.

felt rugs are pretty good though Wink
sean

I keep reading the title as FS being sweary rather than an offer. As in FS, there's a ridiculous amount of fleece in this cupboard.
Shouldn't it be 16 Jacobs' fleeces anyway? Unless they've been sequentially shorn from one sheep.
stumbling goat

Thank you for clarifying dpack.

Might have raised an eyebrow in a Christmas stocking on opening?

sg
dpack

a fleece or two,a bar of soap,two wire dog brushes= felt rug kit that will go in a big santa sock Laughing
chez

Hi SG, yes, dpack is correct, these are the sheep's wool, sheared off and rolled in to balls, unwashed and uncarded.

They're actually my Mama's - I would anticipate her having sheepskin rugs available later in the year, after the lambs go to slaughter. They come out at about forty or fifty quid I think. However, I know Rob does something similar.

Hope that helps!
chez

I keep reading the title as FS being sweary rather than an offer. As in FS, there's a ridiculous amount of fleece in this cupboard.
Shouldn't it be 16 Jacobs' fleeces anyway? Unless they've been sequentially shorn from one sheep.

Pedantry is so unattractive. Smile
chez

Are you on Ravelry etc? Worth a post?

I was going to try and get what doesn't get sold carded and spin it up and stick it on Etsy or somewhere. In my copious free time and everything. Or take out a mortgage and get it spun ...
stumbling goat

Chez,

If they are "dealt with", as in fit and ready to be laid upon floor, maybe in front of a log fire, with a bottle and 2 glasses of chilled bubbly to hand, and rolled about upon, I would have a few?

Razz

sg
chez

Crikey, okay. I will ask her what she has. It may be a case of waiting til they go to slaughter. frewen

See how good I am being - I'm not even considering getting any wool/yarn/fleece. Shocked

Not because I have enough wool to last a lifetime, I hasten to add. I've been downsizing the stash!

I reckon that I have less than a kg of carding and about 500g of knitting yarn.

Now I'm going to polish my halo Halo
Mistress Rose

Gosh, you are being good Frewen. I still have about half an alpaca fleece, some dyed tops and a new fleece to spin, apart from a bag of old wool dyed with onion skin that has been knocking around for years. Now about new musical instruments...... Very Happy wellington womble

I am not discussing my stash in any sort of downsizing context. Go felt cosies for your halos! gil

Chez - how about trying your local Spinners, Weavers and Dyers Guilds ?

I know the Wool Board aren't that keen on coloured fleece, especially multi-coloured, such as Jacob.

One issue is always whether they are 'good' fleeces from a handspinner's point of view (nice and open, staple/lock structure preserved, not felted, not full of VM, without lots of second cuts, no break in the fleece etcetcetc).

If you haven't seen it, check out Yarnmaker magazine website, which has useful hints. tips and instructions for farmers and smallholders wishing to sell fleece for handspinning.

Best of luck - that's quite a lot of fleece to find a home for.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home