Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Leo

FTGH Paulownia tomentosa

I have 4 cuttings from last year that are surplus to requirements.

3 are aprox 18" tall in 6" to 8" pots, and 1 smaller.

They are all showing buds, but are not quite in leaf yet.

I wouldn't like to try posting them, but perhaps the DS courier service could oblige? I am happy to hang on to them for a while if that helps anyone.
Leo

Oops, forgot to say; location Todmorden, West Yorks.
Tavascarow

Beautiful tree if you have the room.
Do they do OK that far North?
I thought they where marginally on the tender side.
Hairyloon

I can give them a home if nobody else wants.
Jamanda

I would like one please, or possibly a seed if it's inconvenient to get the tree to Devon.

Anyone near Todmorden going to the skills share?
Sally Too

Would one survive in N.Ireland? Guess postage is impossible too? Do bees like this tree?
Hairyloon

You can get seeds on ebay.
Don't know how hard they are to grow though.
yummersetter

My favourite tree. The ones I used to enjoy looking at when walking the dogs in London were large trees, pretty tall. I think it needs a lot of space around it so that you can stand back and enjoy the flowers, and sadly I've not got an empty quarter acre!
mochyn

Can I just say these are fantastically beautiful trees. Commonly the Foxglove tree because of the pale lilac flowers. I've seen them thriving in Graz, in Austria, which is quite chilly...

If there's one left and anyone's coming between there and here at any point I'd love one.

While I was at Powys Castle a few years ago I heard a very loud crack. When I got round the corner I saw a large branch which had clearly just fallen from the Paulownia! Fortunately not onto a path.
Cathryn

And if one can be got to Mochyn and there is one left then I would like it please.
mochyn

Is anyone coming from That direction to any of the events planned in Wales this summer? There's one in early May, the Fibre Frenzy in early June and the skill share in July. I'll be at all three.
Hairyloon

Reckon Leo best take some more cuttings. Wink
wildfoodie

I have some space for one as well... cambridge area?
Leo

Ok folks, no idea so many would want one!

I have had mine for 6/7 years & it's pot grown, & is not big enough to flower. Came from south Wales, grown from seed. Lots seen as BIG trees up as far north as Cheltenham.

Mine stays in a pot because we're hoping to move south, soon (please). I've been trying to get it to have 6ft of clear stem, before it branches. Each summer it manages this, but (even in the greenhouse) it suffers die back of a couple of feet each winter. Have heard that they are a bit tender whilst young. Last winter I wrapped the bare stems in coir fibre, & the stem is now shooting from the top.

These spare plants come from the shoots I remove from lower down the stem, they root easily.

Info I have says that they need well drained, loamy soil, in sheltered position, & grow very big.
There will quite possibly be more cuttings to go this summer.

Don't know if this info helps any of you decide if it's a good idea or not.
Hairyloon

I have heard that they grow so fast you can sit and watch them... probably not so in a pot though.
Was it easy to grow from seed?
Leo

It wasn't actually me who grew it from seed, a relative found seeds from a tree growing locally & grew a batch. I don't remember them saying it was difficult. Another relative has done the same; does that make us a family of seed thieves?
I gather that the trees are quite a sight when in flower, although they are massive. The leaves are huge.
I think our season here is a bit short for getting the new growth to harden before the winter. Also think we are a bit 'soggy' to risk planting out. Never seen one this far north growing outside.
Luath

Mine is doing very well here in Dorset - flowering for several years now. Huge leaves are great for shade, and the flowers are, indeed, beautiful. Bought mine for 10 reduced from 45 at local garden centre - I think too big for most folk maybe. It's ow I got most of my special trees, in the reduced section, always worth a look.
Torreya

Probably the 'frost pocket' in which we live (!!) but we can't grow them here in Sutton Coldfield (just N of Birmingham) yet friend N of Leek has got a beautiful specimen about 5 or 6 metres (15-20') tall!!
I did try about 6 plants over the course of 15 years from various parts of the country, but obviously wasn't meant to be Sad I have the same prob with autumn Gentians. G. verna, the spring Gentian is great! But I only manage to keep the sino-ornata types for a year or 2 before they turn up their toes....
Hairyloon

If they grow so well from seed and from cuttings, can we be sure that we're not about to start a plague to rival that of rhododendrons...
Leo

Should I just hang on to them for the time being, until someone can get here to collect?
Hairyloon

Should I just hang on to them for the time being, until someone can get here to collect?

Sounds like a plan.
I could take some to North Wales or London next time I go. I forget how many you've got and where they are wanted...
mochyn

At least one here in Wales... I'm in the middle, but VP & EV are in the north and I'm sure they'd hold on to it for me for a while.
Tavascarow

I have heard that they grow so fast you can sit and watch them... probably not so in a pot though.
Was it easy to grow from seed?

They are members of the leguminacae family so should be easy from fresh seed.
Seed stored for a long time less so IMHO.
Leo

Ok Hairyloon, let me know when you're ready & I will pm you with details etc. Hairyloon

Ok Hairyloon, let me know when you're ready & I will pm you with details etc.
More or less any time... If you happen to be in Leeds or Sheffield, you could drop them by, else I'll find a window to come get them sometime.
Leo

Have PM'd you Hairyloon. Well I think I have, sorry it's been a complicated week, & I'm not 100% sure the brain was in gear.
If you don't have it - shout & i'll try again!
Leo

Have tried to pm you again, well yesterday. Hairyloon

OK, trees have now arrived in North Wales...
They're down the hill in the car at the mo, and I've forgotten how many there are, but who was it that wanted one and how are we to decide if there are not enough?
mochyn

I'd love one. Are you near EV & VP? I'm seeing them in a week or so... Hairyloon

I'd love one. Are you near EV & VP? I'm seeing them in a week or so...
A mile or so down the hill.
I've had one of them, and there are three left...
mochyn

If you could leave one with them for me I'd be very happy. Hairyloon

If you could leave one with them for me I'd be very happy.
Sorry, I don't have time. I'm back off to Yorkshire tomorrow.
I'll leave them here, you can drop by sometime and pick one up.
mochyn

Where is 'here'? Laughing Hairyloon

Llanllechid. mochyn

I'll ask EV if she can pick it up for me. earthyvirgo

Llanllechid.

I can pick up Mochyn's from you today, pm me the address and I'll come over during a tea-break.

EV
mochyn

Thanks Loon & EV! mochyn

Thank you Leo, for the trees and then Hairyloon and the EV for couriering! They're standing on the yard awaiting decisions on where to pl\nt them! Leo

Mochyn, you are very welcome.

Might ask a little favour, though. Am planning on planting my parent tree outside permanently, when we move a bit further south. If, by any chance I lose it, could you possibly take a cutting from one of the babies for me? Of course, collecting it could be a problem, depending on where I end up! But I will worry about that later.

Would love to hear if yours survives and grows.

Extra thanks to Hairyloon for collecting.
mochyn

Of course! That's assuming they survive!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Array Array Array Array Array