Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
banana1522

Fungi Foray

Had an amazing day on Sunday. Everything you might want!
Ceps, hedgehogs, horn of plenty, a few girolles, amethyst deceivers, lots of oysters...

Smile
jp

Nice! Great year for mushroom foraging - makes up for the dismal year of 2012.
bubble

very impressive well done!!!
jettejette

Foraging

I would love to be as confident in identification as you. I have some mushrooms growing on an old hay bale which I have tried to identify from the internet but although they smell mushroomy and don't look like anything poisonous, I am still unsure. Something has been eating them though Question
DorsetScott

Re: Foraging

I would love to be as confident in identification as you. I have some mushrooms growing on an old hay bale which I have tried to identify from the internet but although they smell mushroomy and don't look like anything poisonous, I am still unsure. Something has been eating them though Question

You could always post some pictures here. Noone would recommend you eat anything based on an internet ID from pictures, but from an increasing your knowledge perspective there are some "experts" on here who could point you in the right direction.
banana1522

Thanks everyone. Smile JP - yes indeedy! Last year was unbelievably bad.. This year is unbelievable so far! Let's hope it lasts! Let's see a picture. Although, this year is so good there is no need to "make do" with peppery boletes, or bland puffballs. My mates and I are being quite selective and only grabbing the best! Razz
banana1522

By the way, has anyone here much culinary experience with the orange oak/birch boletes? the cut blue and don't smell of much but are apparently edible? Tried some red cracking boletes last time and they were horribly bitter (never again)! Are the orange capped boletes any better..? Anyone? Cheers! Smile
DorsetScott

Great haul banana.
See you've got the John Wright book too Smile
Pretty sure he rates the orange oak bolettes in there from memory.
jp

I've collected loads of Orange Birch Boletes & Orange Oak Boletes (this year has been especially good for the latter) & like them alot especially when combined with even more tasty Boletes like Ceps. They are big, solid, meaty shrooms like Ceps. Don't worry about the colours they go when cut - just make sure you are 100% positive of your ID.
bubble

some of this years ceps
bubble

some more of this years
DorsetScott

Jeez, check you out Bubble.
What do you do with your shaggy ink caps? I've made soup with them which I found kinda average, otherwise they just seem flacid and bland when I've cooked them.
Any super recipes or do you just use them as filler?
sgt.colon

Impressive hauls indeed. I'm rather jealous.
bubble

shaggy is a fantastic mushroom ,you fry it in olive oil and butter,add grated garlic ,dry white wine,salt and pepper, and serve with fresh parmesan ,a super flavour mushroom!!!!!!
DorsetScott

If/when I get my hands on some this year I'll give that a go. Cheers
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I spied an awesome crop of mushrooms this evening, will take out camera tomorrow in the hopes of getting some ID. They were brown/lighter underneath, growing all over a tree stump in grassland. Smelled faintly mushroomy. Were mushroom shaped...... Laughing I do envy the basketfuls here though!
DorsetScott

I spied an awesome crop of mushrooms this evening, will take out camera tomorrow in the hopes of getting some ID. They were brown/lighter underneath, growing all over a tree stump in grassland. Smelled faintly mushroomy. Were mushroom shaped...... Laughing I do envy the basketfuls here though!

Would need to see pictures to be sure, but from the description, it does sound very much like mushrooms Laughing
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Would need to see pictures to be sure, but from the description, it does sound very much like mushrooms Laughing

Woo! I'm a genius! Laughing
So clever I completely forgot to walk that way today. Duuuuh.
Lorrainelovesplants

Can I just ask.....
will there be anything worth foraging in mid November? Or is this too late?
robkb

Visited Down House (Charles Darwin's home) at the weekend. They have a whole field set aside for nothing but fungi! The field looked empty, but the woods were absolutely heaving with several different kinds - took plenty of photos and will try to identify later. DorsetScott

Can I just ask.....
will there be anything worth foraging in mid November? Or is this too late?

Should still be some stuff worth getting. Blewitts should be around and I picked Winter Chanterelles until christmas last year to name a couple. Someone like bubble can probably reel off a huge list of stuff which will be around.
banana1522

Thanks for your comments on the orange boletes peeps. Full moon coming up.. Need to get one more foray in before the cold gets the ceps! Bubble - what part of the world are you in?? Not asking for your spots (I have my own anyway Wink) just curious about what part o the world you are foraging. Somewhere-by-the-river

Wow! And to think we here were only just lamenting the lack of mushrooms on our patch! Have only ever found a few edibles to cook so far, and those just generally taste of whatever you cook them with/in - still hunting for the elusive gourmets...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home