Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
tahir

Gajrela

This is far from easy, but well worth it (if you like gajrela)

2 kgs carrot, grated
2 litres (appx) milk
1 kg sugar
4-5 cardomom pods
Butter (lots)
Big pan

Place the carrots and cardomom in a pan, cover with enough milk so that it's quite easy to stir with a wooden spoon.

Bring to a gentle boil

Add sugar once some of the liquid has evaporated

Simmer (stirring almost constantly) till there is no more liquid visible

Add butter, start with 500g and see what it looks like. You want to see a fair bit of free butter in the pan at this stage, it will be rapidly absorbed.

You now cook until the carrots start to caramelise, stirring constantly, you may need to add more butter to keep it from sticking.

Degree of caramelisation is a matter of taste (and upper body strength/patience), I like mine to be edging towards a browny terracotta.

Top with chopped pistachios if desired. Very good with a creamy yog if you're worried about the amount of fat and sugar
Cathryn

What's this yog stuff with no fat in it then, or sugars for that matter?
tahir

What's this yog stuff with no fat in it then, or sugars for that matter?

Sorry, meant that's yog as an accompaniment. Mind you I don't really like low fat yog.
Cathryn

I know what you meant. Yoghurt still carries that slightly self righteous air doesn't it.
tahir

Nah, not in India/Pakistan, it's an essential part of our cuisine, innt?
Behemoth

Do you make anything in less than 5 or 6lb portions?

Could I add some lard at some point to increase the calorific value.
sean

You could always serve it with custard, clotted cream and golden syrup to bolster it up a bit.
tahir

Advisable, it's cold up north, you need all the calories you can get
tahir

You could always serve it with custard, clotted cream and golden syrup to bolster it up a bit.

That is actually MUCH less sugar than my mum used to use
tahir

Do you make anything in less than 5 or 6lb portions?

Not really. That's a fairly small batch. Last time I did it was 4kg pumpkin (forgot to add you can use pumpkin instead of the carrot, not as nice but some people love it)
Behemoth

Advisable, it's cold up north, you need all the calories you can get

My brother got me a 1950s book about a gastronomic guide to France with recipes. Most start with, 'skin the rabbit', 'take a calf's hoof', 'split the head', etc then comes a pound of butter and they usually end up with a pound of lard. In between there may be cawl or turnips or wine. It's great.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home