Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
sara jane goodey

Game seasons

The guide i have at home is an old one but does anyone know of new ruling or different seasons.
Grouse-aug12-dec10
partridge-sept1-feb1
pheasant-oct1-feb1
snipe-aug12-jan31
woodcock-oct1-jan31
rabbit and hare have no closed season
wild duck and geese-sept1-jan31
Treacodactyl

Sorry to simply post up a link but BASC have got a very good chart that you could print off here:

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/shootingseasons
Treacodactyl

They also seem to vary from country to country a fair bit. Looking down them I realy must try woodcock when it comes back into season in October (for me)..
sara jane goodey

delicious woodcock

I am very lucky to have tried woodcock and cooked it in the trad manner a la mrs beeton cooked whole with guts in and roasted, then scooped out the guts pan fried them with butter, to make a kind of pate then spread this on toast with the woodcock on top. Its such a subtle flavour,but they are a pain to pluck as the skin tears so easily....god i love talking wild foods.
judith

Woodcock is fantastic, isn't it? I've never been brave enough to eat the trail, though.
It also makes a fantastic terrine if you roast the birds and then set them in an aspic jelly made from the roast carcases and a pig's trotter or something similar.
Sadly I lost my game supplier when we moved to Wales - a neighbour's son now keeps me in pheasant in season and the occasional hare or rabbit, but it's not quite the same as finding a brace of woodcock on your doorhandle!
Bugs

So, when you say guts...how far down, exactly, does that reach? Are we talking part or fully digested food??? Shocked
judith

It's the whole intestinal tract, Bugs. Apparently the woodcock defecates as it takes off for flight, which means that there is nothing too untowards left in the guts.
And no, I've never been convinced by that argument either!
sean

Woodcock empty their guts when they take off. That's the idea anyway.
Treacodactyl

What happens if you shoot them on the ground? Shocked
sean

Treacodactyl wrote:

People despise you. And your dinner smells of pooh.
Treacodactyl

sean wrote:
And your dinner smells of pooh.

Is that Winnie the?
Treacodactyl

Re: delicious woodcock

sara jane goodey wrote:
god i love talking wild foods.

After a few years of learning to forage a bit more and trying various game I do look at things a little differently. During journey home I saw plently of plump rabbits, plump pigeons, fresh nettle tops and ground elder. What people think as pests and weeds become a nice dinner plate. Razz
joker

sean wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
sara jane goodey

Shoot a woodcock!

If you could shoot a woodcock on the ground as opposed to on the wing i'd eat my... anyway can't think what i'd have to eat but if you did it would mean you'd spent a long time hanging about marshy, shrubby ground, probably starving, and be a rather brilliant marksman, i've only ever seen them while shooting rabbits/hares after they've been startled.
Lloyd

sean wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home