Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
gz

Garmin wants windoze/mac...what can i do?

As a linux user, to download and run the software?
gz

might be getting somewhere.....
http://developer.garmin.com/open-source/overview/
chez

Will it run on WINE? You install wine, then the windows programme. It mostly works.
gz

I've seen that mentioned on the garmin forum....what is WINE?

I have Ubuntu studio 14.04, and firefox
vegplot

Wine is what Linux users do Wink
Hairyloon

Wine
Is
Not an
Emulator

But it can sometimes run windows programmes.
jema

WINE is a windows emulator. I am actually on the list of contributors Smile for possibly the smallest albeit significant opensource contribution ever made.
gz

is WINE on the Ubuntu software centre?
Hairyloon

It mostly works.

I would argue about "mostly"...
I'd go to "occasionally", or "usually, but only if it is a programme you're not bothered about"...

Possibly I have not got it set up right.
Hairyloon

I believe so.
chez

I believe so.

Yes. There's a chunk of the Ubuntu help forum about it I think, or maybe one of its own. You install it, tell it what version of Windows you need it to pretend to be, then install your windows software. Am on my phone, so not that easy for me to find you links, but IIRC it wasn't as complicated as it sounded when I was reading up on it - although I think that does depend on what you are trying to get it to do.
oldish chris

Who wants what exactly, why and, more to the point, where?

Lots and lots of FOSS stuff has been designed/modified to run on all three major OSes, sometimes on BSD as well. But, the final tests can only be run on the target OS.

You can get an amazing Mac type thing for a mere £749. Windows comes pre-loaded on everything else. I don't get excited about OSes on the basis that they are only a short-lived computer program. You're only halfway through a spectacular flame war when the vendor announces an amazingly improved new one.
chez

GZ needs to do a particular *thing* though, presumably update her sat-nav, without having to buy a whole new machine or reinstall her OS Smile gz

I've been given a new Garmin Edge 500 cycle computer..... Cool ..... chez

Shiney Smile gz

Just had a suggestion from a cycling Norwegian linux bloke in Holland.......Golden Cheetah ??
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home