Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
sean

Gas Combi Boiler Recommendations Please.

Our boiler has gone wrong *again*. It's the filler loop valve this time so shouldn't be too costly but over all it's been unreliable and expensive to repair so I think it's time to stop throwing good money after bad and replace it while we've got a bit of cash in hand.

Has anyone got any recommendations/access to Which reliability reports etc please?

Current one is Glow-Worm so don't waste your typing recommending them. Wink
tahir

Worcester and Vaillant always do well for efficiency/reliability
sean

'Swhat I thought. I'll have ask our plumber what he'll charge for installation. Shouldn't be too much for a straight swap should it? (He said hopefully.)
tahir

Should be quite cheap, get a plumber to price you for boiler plus fitting AND fitting only. Had to sort out mum's a few years ago and we saved £500 by buying the boiler online and getting it fitted
sean

Knowing my plumber he'd probably rather I bought the boiler so he doesn't have to faff about with VAT.
tahir

That's good then. Just make sure he sits with you and selects the boiler and whatever bits you're going to need then, yoy don't want him moaning off afterwards that you didn't get the watchamacallit
dpack

we have a worcester celsia that is about 20 yrs old ,it has had some new bits ,pump/valves etc but still works

i dont know if the newer ones are as robust or easy to mend

from a bit of experience of many types a long time ago i recon strong and simple will outlast clever every time
Ty Gwyn

Not Gas,but the Worcester Oil boiler her has done well for the 10yrs of being installed,with only a bearing needed fitting in that time.
john of wessex

Valliant has an 'in house' repair service

Having said that my advice is never touch the things

Failing that get an electric shower & some alternative heating just in case
Behemoth

Sorry for doing this, but can you tel us what sort of output you would like?
Behemoth

Just looked at the which reviews, Worcester Bosch pretty much clean up across the board.

I've got a weissman that I've been very happy with but its a big beast.
sean

6 rads + hot water so not huge. The bloke who does my plumbing prefers Vaillant which seem to do OK in reviews/reliablility tests too.
Gervase

Worcester Greenstar range is good. Worcester overall are pretty hard to beat.
Behemoth

Valiant are rated second.
Mutton

We had a Worcestor combi oil boiler for years and it was very good - only problem with it was that in a hard water area the valve that swaps between water and radiators sometimes stuck - due to a bit of debris in the pipe. After several experiences we learnt exactly where to give it a tap to dislodge the debris and it was fine.
Shane

Another vote for Worcester Bosch Greenstar from me - installed ours ten years ago and never had an issue
wellington womble

Worcester all the way.
dpack

very interesting that over 20 yrs we think they seem to have made reliable kit .

if we tell them we like them will we get discount ? Laughing
Shane

Only if we all decide to buy a new one at the same time and put in a bulk order Laughing
dpack

Laughing

as they seem to last forever ...... Laughing
Nicky cigreen

Worcester all the way.

my thoughts exactly
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home