Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
earthyvirgo

GBBO, are we still watching?

If, like me and it seems, many others, Ruby's simpering is starting to wear thin, The Guardian TV and Radio blog is well worth a read.

Had me laughing out loud in places.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/oct/01/the-great-british-bake-off-2013-episode-seven-live-blog?commentpage=1

It's going to be Kimberely or Francis who triumphs methinks.

EV

p.s sorry, I've lost my snippet of code to make the link short ....
sgt.colon

Arrgggghhhhh Ruby, arrrrrrghhhhhhh she gets on my nerves. Arrrgggghhhhhh. Just looking at her makes me want to wander off to the naughty corner and have a jolly good rant. Mad Mad Mad

I've backed Francis from the start. Gutted Howard went last week. He was so funny. Would be happy if Glenn or Becca won though.
Nicky Colour it green

but they pick the people not for their baking prowess, but to have the right mix of interesting people. Finding some of them annoying is part of that plan. Personally I find francis and her 'lets make a picture out of it' annoying.

(Sorry, but I don't like the guardian blog.)

My money is on Kimberly - or maybe Becca
robkb

Excellent! The bit about Ruby breaking a mixing bowl with the sheer force of her gloom made me laugh out loud.

Which then made me think I probably shouldn't be reading it at work... Embarassed
earthyvirgo

Excellent! The bit about Ruby breaking a mixing bowl with the sheer force of her gloom made me laugh out loud.

Which then made me think I probably shouldn't be reading it at work... Embarassed

Nobody to tut at my giggling apart from the cats - two of whom have decided to be studio assistant today Smile

EV
gardening-girl

Barrie rather fancied Ruby at the start,now he just wants to give her a good slap to buck her up. Laughing Laughing
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Mmm, there's only so long I can be all "there there dearie, you'll be fine" before I snap into "will you STOP whining!!"
Woo

i havent watched last nights yet but last week i got a bit tired with the lip chewing pout from Ruby.
i like Becca, she hasnt fallen apart over any of it. had a couple of problems but is true to herself
The chap, Glenn will be mincemeat at school after last week! secondary schools cant have changed so much that the sight of 'sir' booing in national tv will not invoke the mirth of many teenagers!
Frances reminds me of an old neighbour, in looks and behaviour, a bit wet?
Christine i think thinks she has it in the bag, been there done that.
Kimberly has some great ideas and has inspired me more than the others.
sorry, im in a bit of a grump today, 3 children under 8 off sick with fever and snot, husband away, and i am surcumbing myself to the start of a cold. it can bring out your intolerance!!! Embarassed
earthyvirgo

i like Becca, she hasnt fallen apart over any of it. had a couple of problems but is true to herself

I must admit, I wouldn't mind an invite to one of her Sunday lunches Smile

EV
sgt.colon

I must admit, I wouldn't mind an invite to one of her Sunday lunches Smile

EV
I don't think you'd leave hungry.
yummersetter

Oh, I was really hoping it would be written by Nancy Banks-Smith. Now that would have been funny! yummersetter

A pleasurable half hour later - http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/aug/20/month-in-ambridge complete with comments. Mistress Rose

I like seeing what they all produce, and don't particularly favour or dislike any of them. Some are definitely better bakers than others, but even they can have off days.

I mainly watch it to see if they come up with any items we need to make for the markets. After the last series, everyone wanted raised pie moulds, and must say that rolling pins have sold better lately. Son sold a part finished lemon squeezer after the one where one of them formed her brandy snaps round a wooden former.
lettucewoman

Thought there was an interesting comment by Sue Perkins(I think) when Glenn got chucked out...they rushed to cuddle him and she said...come on...lets turn him....??

I am supposing that this probably meant he is gay...which is of course absolutley fine as long as the school and the kids know it...otherwise knowing kids he could be in for a bit of a tough time...unless I was the only one who noticed!
sgt.colon

LW, it was said in the first program that Glenn lived with his partner and then showed another man.

It's all women now. Pick your winner. Very Happy

Francis for me. Even though she's a bit wet.
LynneA

I get my updates from the Going Gently blog.

Only watched one, and Ruby was so simpering I resolved not to watch it until she was gone.
Woo

I mainly watch it to see if they come up with any items we need to make for the markets. After the last series, everyone wanted raised pie moulds, and must say that rolling pins have sold better lately. Son sold a part finished lemon squeezer after the one where one of them formed her brandy snaps round a wooden former.

i have been hankering over new utensils since its been on too Embarassed
Mistress Rose

Seems sensible to me Woo. If son has any suitable wood, he may have a go at some more brandy snap moulds soon. He also wants to make a lemon squeezer, so he may get round to that some time, but at present he is making the normal things we sell for stock every time he is at a market or show. Nicky Colour it green

Thought there was an interesting comment by Sue Perkins(I think) when Glenn got chucked out...they rushed to cuddle him and she said...come on...lets turn him....??

I am supposing that this probably meant he is gay...which is of course absolutley fine as long as the school and the kids know it...otherwise knowing kids he could be in for a bit of a tough time...unless I was the only one who noticed!

It doesn't matter if the school or kids know, it's fine anyway, and kids are pretty cool about it anyway. I'm willing to guess he is a popular teacher, he is funny and enthusiastic.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

It doesn't matter if the school or kids know, it's fine anyway, and kids are pretty cool about it anyway. I'm willing to guess he is a popular teacher, he is funny and enthusiastic.

It must have been mentioned on the show, because I knew he was(is) gay, as opposed to thinking it or just being oblivious. And I haven't googled the competitors or read any backstories etc.
sgt.colon

LW, it was said in the first program that Glenn lived with his partner and then showed another man.

It must have been mentioned on the show, because I knew he was(is) gay, as opposed to thinking it or just being oblivious. And I haven't googled the competitors or read any backstories etc. Kariana

I noticed that comment too and was surprised as I had completely forgotten about it from when they first mentioned it.

As for the kids at school things have changed a bit. I bet he's a hugely popular teacher and I'd be surprised if he gets any stick for it. There might be a bit of friendly teasing about the crying but my money would be on him having a huge amount of respect in school.

On another note, am I the only one who likes Ruby? I do want to slap her sometimes and get her to stop moaning but I don't actually mind her. I think she puts herself down not to invite praise but so that it's less embarrassing when someone tells her it isn't good. It's like saying "it's ok, I know it's not great, please don't think I think it is because I don't want to appear big headed." When you're in that moment doing it you don't realise how annoying you sound!!
sgt.colon

Am I the only one who likes Ruby?

Yep. Wink
Mistress Rose

I think she lacks confidence but isn't afraid to say that she doesn't think it is good rather than saying nothing. robkb

Whatever people think of Ruby, she has written a quite thought-provoking article in the Graun today:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/22/great-british-bake-off-ruby-dandoh
earthyvirgo

Whatever people think of Ruby, she has written a quite thought-provoking article in the Graun today:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/22/great-british-bake-off-ruby-dandoh

Yes, very well said.
It's a shame that all TV progs eventually slide into using the same global, shallow formula.

EV
Nicky Colour it green

Yes, very well said.
It's a shame that all TV progs eventually slide into using the same global, shallow formula.

EV

it's not the program she is criticising, it's the vitriol the nastiness that comes with commentary in the press and twitter.

the program is much the same format as it was in the beginning.. I still enjoy it and enjoyed the final last night - I felt all three finalists deserved to be there and indeed I would have been ok with any of the three winning. All three could go on to build careers out of the experience if they wanted to.

I like the fun and nonsense that goes with the program - seeing Mary and Mel nicking bits of asparagus whilst Francis was busy made me chortle.

it isn't the program that was shallow (although let us not kid ourselves - they chose the contestants to have an interesting mix of people, they edit the show to make it more interesting etc, and it isn't exactly high IQ telly, it is silly and nonsense and fun too.), the shallow bit is some of the ugly attacks that came from commentary
earthyvirgo

Yes, very well said.

EV

it's not the program she is criticising, it's the vitriol the nastiness that comes with commentary in the press and twitter.

the program is much the same format as it was in the beginning.. I still enjoy it and enjoyed the final last night - I felt all three finalists deserved to be there and indeed I would have been ok with any of the three winning. All three could go on to build careers out of the experience if they wanted to.

I like the fun and nonsense that goes with the program - seeing Mary and Mel nicking bits of asparagus whilst Francis was busy made me chortle.

it isn't the program that was shallow (although let us not kid ourselves - they chose the contestants to have an interesting mix of people, they edit the show to make it more interesting etc, and it isn't exactly high IQ telly, it is silly and nonsense and fun too.), the shallow bit is some of the ugly attacks that came from commentary

I have to disagree. I agree entirely that the media have turned this into an unnecessary circus (and I'm as guilty as the next man in watching in happen) but I do think the programme has become more flippant.

That wedding cake of Frances' was a lovely thing tho' - that dried fruit confetti - inspired Smile

EV
Went

It's the first time I have watched it last night, mainly because we don't have tv but I was on a ship and nothing else to do. I realise time is very limited but I felt the standard of baking to be a bit lacking. Apart from the veggie picnic pie the rest left a lot to be desired.....sorry Confused earthyvirgo

It's the first time I have watched it last night, mainly because we don't have tv but I was on a ship and nothing else to do. I realise time is very limited but I felt the standard of baking to be a bit lacking. Apart from the veggie picnic pie the rest left a lot to be desired.....sorry Confused

Yeah, I was thinking back to some of Rosie's wonderful cakes and thinking how much more professional they looked.

EV
Nicky Colour it green

that's because these people are not chosen to be expert bakers.. and I imagine they exclude anyone who bakes for a living - as i said they chose the people based on an interesting mix to watch. Reality tv as always. Nicky Colour it green

I have to disagree. I agree entirely that the media have turned this into an unnecessary circus (and I'm as guilty as the next man in watching in happen) but I do think the programme has become more flippant.

EV

my point was that Ruby is replying to the media and public-via-twitter nastiness, not the program itself.

I like the flippancy of the program itself, that is why it works.
Mistress Rose

I've only watched the last couple of series, and quite honestly, I couldn't care who won as long as they did it on their own merit. I have quite enjoyed it, and the final wedding cake that won was superb.

With the time they have at their disposal a traditional perfectly flawless royal icing was not going to be possible anyway.

Thought the article by Ruby was very sensible. If press and social media don't have anything better to do with their time, it makes me wonder why thy exist.
mousjoos

Never insult Raymond Blanc !! Woo

i just read the article and thought it was a good answer. i too found Ruby a bit too sweet, but hadnt realised she was so young, must have missed that at first.
i thought the final was hard to read. they had all done well and the final cake was definatly the decider?sp
i enjoyed the seris for the baking. still want to go shopping for new utensils!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home