Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Jonnyboy

Geese and the veg patch

Geese eat grass right? So can I trust them to roam around the garden without raiding the veg patch?

Also, once they are established will they stay within their 'territory'? It's not feasible for me to fence off the stream for it's entire length.
Pea

You will probably be ok with the stream. My geese have the canal to swim on, they never go out of the marina onto the main line canal.

Yes they will eat the grass in your veggie patch along with all your root crops, they like to dig them up bit by bit. Mine were not bothered with the brassicas.

Pea
dougal

They love lettuce.

And they sit on things they don't eat!

If there are crops there, best to keep them out. And although seemingly scared of heights (yes), the pair that I had the pleasure of knowing would fly/jump over if they got the chance...

Regarding fencing a stream, I'd suggest that they might enjoy the stream, but its important that they understand where 'home' really is. Just turn them loose and they might well have quite a bit of a wander...
Jonnyboy

dougal wrote:

Regarding fencing a stream, I'd suggest that they might enjoy the stream, but its important that they understand where 'home' really is. Just turn them loose and they might well have quite a bit of a wander...

exactly, I want them to enjoy the former whilst knowing where home is..... Confused
hardworkinghippy

Pea, mine took chunks out of the brassicas, but got fed up once they hardened up. I think they're worth covering up when they're newly planted, because my Geese did sometimes pull things out of the ground.

I protect everything with sticks for the chickens anyway and the same cage cover for lettuce and soft things works for geese too.

They don't do a lot of damage - except if you have a small pond they'll mess it up severely. Neutral
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home