Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
sally_in_wales

Getting a banner done, choosing text

I'm about to order a banner to fill space above my stall at fairs, and I need to make sure that its pretty generic content.

So, its going to be on two lines. First line in big dark red letters will just be the website address www.sallypointer.com
then under it in smaller letters, I need to give a flavour of what we do without being too prescriptive, as I trade at all sorts of strange events.

Which of these sounds like it fits the bill best?

a) for a wide range of traditional and historical crafts

b) hats, socks, soap, books, woodwork and more

c) unusual items inspired by history

d) wonderful things made in Wales

e) something else?

I'm fairly sure a) is the way to go, but I keep dithering and feelng that I'm missing something obvious and helpful
ros

Think that a) is best but think you should have made in Wales in there somewhere and I like the "inspired by history" tag-line.

Trying to combine a,c and d and failing miserably.
jamanda

I like D.

It gives you infinite scope, and it sounds like something I would want to know more about.
jamanda

No poll?
gil

I'd go for reversing the order - using the big letters for the website is a shame. Draw people in with the exciting wording of what you do, then they will see the webaddress.

How about

'inspired by history, (hand-)crafted in Wales'
If you can fit 'unusual' and 'wonderful' in the background somewhere, perhaps in paler handwritten lettering, so much the better
amd then
www.sallypointer.com
MarkS

how about some velcro or other suitable fixing and a variety of strips with different text?
sally_in_wales

gil wrote:
I'd go for reversing the order - using the big letters for the website is a shame. Draw people in with the exciting wording of what you do, then they will see the webaddress.

How about

'inspired by history, (hand-)crafted in Wales'
If you can fit 'unusual' and 'wonderful' in the background somewhere, perhaps in paler handwritten lettering, so much the better
amd then
www.sallypointer.com

So, approximately this, but obviously centred and in a nice font :

Inspired by history, handcrafted in Wales
www.sallypointer.com
Blacksmith

I like d. Sums it up vey well.
sally_in_wales

right, I'll go with that then. Its only a cheapy banner, I can get something more exciting done in due course once I see how I get on with this one
sally_in_wales

Does this look ok?

gil

That's the kind of idea I had in mind, yes.

Would you want to have the other, paler, words lurking subliminally in the background, in a pale (20 or 30% tint, say) version of the dark red, or a grey or a green ? Or does the banner-maker charge per letter ?

WONDERFUL TRADITIONAL UNUSUAL

Where are you getting the banner done, Sally, and approx how much does it cost ? I need one too. Are you getting eyelets in it ?
Let me know what you think of the quality of yours.

Our FM had a bad experience with our banners, ordered off the net. Lettering came out far smaller (partly cos person who submitted artwork didn't know what they were doing), and they are hard to read and not very eyecatching.
sally_in_wales

gil wrote:
That's the kind of idea I had in mind, yes.

Would you want to have the other, paler, words lurking subliminally in the background, in a pale (20 or 30% tint, say) version of the dark red, or a grey or a green ? Or does the banner-maker charge per letter ?

WONDERFUL TRADITIONAL UNUSUAL

Where are you getting the banner done, Sally, and approx how much does it cost ? I need one too. Are you getting eyelets in it ?
Let me know what you think of the quality of yours.

Our FM had a bad experience with our banners, ordered off the net. Lettering came out far smaller (partly cos person who submitted artwork didn't know what they were doing), and they are hard to read and not very eyecatching.

I think its pretty basic stuff for thisorder, I'm going with a very cheap ebay seller, just to try out the idea
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230239248733&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11 and if I get on well with a banner I'm then going to upgrade to a nice painted canvas one, this will be fine to see if it helps though
ros

Love it Sally Very Happy
sally_in_wales

that was quick, just had a pic sent through of my finished banner
given that this is a cheap and cheerful trial run, I'm impressed so far Smile
gil

Nice.
Is it about 3-4' long and 1'6" - 2' high ?
mochyn

That looks really good, Sally. Will it be at Wonderwool for scrutiny?
sally_in_wales

yep, 54"x24" so plenty big enough to fill a bit of wall over the stall
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home