Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Mrs Fiddlesticks

getting a greenhouse

On Saturday we ordered a Greenhouse! Will be delivered in 2/3 weeks. Its a lovely Cedar one ( on offer at G Centre) and is 6'9" long by 8' wide.

I've got to get someone to do the base work and run a cable down the garden.

It comes with staging, roof and side vents and auto opener.

Its probably 8 or 9 years since I've had a greenhouse ( and then a tiny metal one) so is there anything I've forgotten!

What accessories have you got in yours that are invaluable.
nettie

How exciting!!!!!! Good for you. Mine is a measly 6' x 4' but i luurve it anyway Very Happy

My fave accessories are long bits of wire criss crossing across the roof at all sorts of odd angles - great for hanging things on, growing melons, cues and tomatoes from, and throwing a net curtain or three across in summer!
tahir

Just a bit of staging, and as Nettie says it's handy to be able to run some string
Mrs Fiddlesticks

string shouldn't be a problem, as it has nice metal braces at eaves height. I've ordered a shelf that fits above the staging up near the eaves for extra growing room. The other side of the thing I was going to leave bare to allow room for grow-bags and the like. I'm hoping to have the floor paved rather than grow things directly in the soil to avoid it becoming sour.

Off to read the two wests and elliot catalogue! Very Happy
moggins

You lucky thing Very Happy

I want one now, I'll have to make do with a plasticy thing though.
Behemoth

Probably not suitable for a cedar green house but I read of a bloke who had two bases installed adjacent to each other and then every couple of year or so he unscrewwed the green house and shifted onto the adjacent base and refixed (with the glass out of course). Then he simply used the old greenhouse area as a bed which he dug over and manured in the normal way. This prevented the soil getting exhausted or building up pests and let the rain penetrate well into the soil.

If you need extra staging compare prices of 'gardening suppliers' with places Machine Mart and Screwifx. Often their galvanised shelving is much cheaper.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home