Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Chez

Getting diesel out of a fuel tank?

Just before I got the phone call last week saying that the new van was being delivered, we put sixty quid's worth of diesel in the Berlingo. We now can't drive it because the insurance has been swapped over by motability. Can I just siphon it out? Or do I need to do something more elaborate? It's paining me to send it back with the car.
Lloyd

There should be a drain point somewhere on the bottom of the tank.
Chez

Oh that makes it much easier. Thank you. I will go google.
Hairyloon

There should be a drain point somewhere on the bottom of the tank.

Isn't "should" a wonderful word? Very often there is not what there should be. Sad

If there isn't, then siphoning will be fine, if you can do it: some cars are pigging difficult; anybody would think they are trying to stop people from doing it.
RichardW

For cars with an electric first stage fuel pump you can just disconnect the feed into the high pressure pump & extend it into a container. Switch on & it will start pumping.
Hairyloon

For cars with an electric first stage fuel pump...

If you're ever scrapping one of those. it can be worth salvaging that pump for this very purpose.
RichardW

For cars with an electric first stage fuel pump...
If you're ever scrapping one of those. it can be worth salvaging that pump for this very purpose.

Failing that a quick ebay session will have one in your hands for less than 15 inc del. It might not be big enough for a 4L lump but they do run my digger engine (2000cc) & genny engines (400cc) just fine.
misty07

Find out where fuel pump is disconnect pipe going out of pipe to block and turn ignition on and will pump the fuel out easier if its external pump but either way is easiest option
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home