Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
boisdevie1

Giant puffball

One of the joys of cycling as I've discovered (apart from a sore arse) is that you spot stuff easiser than you would if you whizzed along by car. I've spotted a giant puffball, about 10inches in diameter. Should I pick it now or leave it to get bigger? When's the best moment to eat them?
sean

Pick it now.
Jamanda

I'd get it now before some other beggar does.
DorsetScott

Puff Burgers ahoy!!! One of my favourite uses for any mushroom!
Mistress Rose

If you leave it any longer it may get tough too.
anoia

This might sound stupid, but is the puffball the "bread"or the "meat"? I ask because I have 2 grapefruit sized ones in the fridge and no idea what to do with them! Last time I found one I believe I used it as a sponge to mop up an enormous amount of oil, which was tasty but a bit rich.
DorsetScott

This might sound stupid, but is the puffball the "bread"or the "meat"? I ask because I have 2 grapefruit sized ones in the fridge and no idea what to do with them! Last time I found one I believe I used it as a sponge to mop up an enormous amount of oil, which was tasty but a bit rich.

The puffball is the meat. Basically get a couple of pieces burger sized, I fry it in bacon fat as the mushroom soaks it up and makes it extra tasty, then stick both bits in a bun with some tomato/lettuce/whatever you fancy (maybe even the bacon you got the fat from).

Nomnomnomnom

Now I want to find a giant puffball!!!!!
boisdevie1

Damn damn and blast. Went back just 24 hours later and somebody has beaten me to it. Bloody French foragers. Merde merde merdy merde.
thingamajig

Damn damn and blast. Went back just 24 hours later and somebody has beaten me to it. Bloody French foragers. Merde merde merdy merde.

You snooze,you lose! Wink
vegplot

Pick it now.

These words will stay with you.
Mistress Rose

When I first came across that word I looked it up in my school French dictionary and it wasn't there. Very Happy

Hard luck, and hope you find another puffball ready for eating.
bubble

heres one you ve missed.A giant puffball in the basket is worth ten in the meadow!!! Very Happy Very Happy Smile got it today at Mildenhall.
thingamajig

Nice find!
Its a shame they're not around for Halloween,they make great human skulls. Very Happy
Mistress Rose

That looks a lovely one. Hope you enjoy it.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home