Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
boisdevie1

Giant puffball

Is mine, all mine (cue demonic laughter). Saw it in neighbours garden and she didn't want it.
So next question. Best way to cook it. Does it freeze OK as there's quite a bit of it.
Duane Dibbley

Slice it into 1cm thick slices....dip in egg then seasoned breadcrumbs then fry for a couple of minutes on each side Very Happy
DorsetScott

I'm still voting Puffburger Smile
fungi2bwith

I found one as well, two weeks ago.

bubble

nice one Garry ,any ceps yet???? I got 3-4 in the week
fungi2bwith

nice one Garry ,any ceps yet???? I got 3-4 in the week

There were a few in Scotland but in the last week back down south I have only seen two old rotting ceps. I have collected a few bay boletes though.

Should be a few more coming through soon with rain over the last four days.
Woodburner

At last I've found a puffball that is still white inside! I really fancy trying one, have always been curious, but should it have a skin if it's still ok to eat? I've never really seen a young one, but assumed that they only develop the tough outside when they are ripe. Confused
anoia

The ones I have had have had a soft leathery outside which I peeled off, apart from the one which I kept in the fridge for a few days when it was a bit less soft. This was at grapefruit size so presumably young. They go quite soft and yellowy inside as they go over, they should be white and squeaky when you cut in. Very nice!
Woodburner

Ok, thanks. Smile I will give it a go tonight, assuming the rest of it is still nice and white. Wink
Jam Lady

Now this is a giant puffball, admittedly from back in 2005. Shared it with my friend. Neither of us was impressed with it - reminds me of a marshmallow and without much flavor of its own. Like tofu, absorbs the taste of what it's cooked with.

DorsetScott

Like tofu, absorbs the taste of what it's cooked with.

That's why you cook it in bacon fat Very Happy Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home